Episode Six, Part 1:

W i t h o u t   F e a r

Ares and Kodiak tried to hold Elara still, but it was obvious how much pain she was in. As Sol, Aeryn and Fenn tried to figure out what was wrong, the two boys couldn't help but wonder if they had just made everything worse. If Targo had lied because they knew this would happen to Elara, and Basilisk would have no other choice but to surrender the Heir to them as it would be the only way to save her life... 

"Elara, can you tell me what's happening?" Aeryn asked, trying to assist Fenn in checking her vitals. 

She didn't respond.

"Elara?" She pushed again, but the young girl could barely find a second amid her pain to speak. 

"Ell," Kodiak whispered, pulling her hair away from her ear as he leant in close. "What hurts?" 

"Everything," she managed to heave out. "It burns." 

"The serum burns?" Kodiak clarified, hoping to get more out of her for Aeryn and Fenn's sake.

Elara nodded, rolling over as she bit down onto her lip to distract herself from the more dominant pain. Aeryn and Fenn tried desperately to stabilize her, but there wasn't anything they could do. Finally, with both Kodiak and Ares doing everything they could think of to comfort her, Elara began to calm down. 

She relaxed against the chair, no longer clinging on with a death-grip, and her breathing gradually returned to normal. 

"Do you feel okay now?" Ares asked, gathering her hair and loosely tying it up for her. 

"Yeah," Elara answered breathlessly, slowly coming round to opening her eyes. She glanced over everyone, seeing how terrified they all looked, finally finding Kodiak. 

His eyes were watering, staring back as if he thought for a moment that he had lost her. Without even a word, both of them leaned into each other, holding tight without faltering.

"I'll go get the others," Sol announced, quietly dismissing herself from the overwhelming anxiety that filled the room. 

//// 

Quill and Wynn sat outside the steps of the Sovereign's Quarters, watching as the people of Basilisk gradually began to crowd and fill up the camp.

They'd been sitting in silence for a couple of minutes, but Quill couldn't bear it anymore. All he could think about was their sister, and whether or not she was okay. 

"Do you know how it went with Dad yesterday?" Quill asked, glancing over at his brother. He had a suspicion that Wynn wouldn't say much, that he was trying to hide something, and he was right. 

"What do you mean? I went with Sol, remember?" 

Quill sighed, reaching down to the ground and picking up a twig, breaking it apart in his hands. 

"I know," he said, "but I know you know more. It's what you were talking about last night with Ares, wasn't it?" 

"Yeah," Wynn sighed, reluctantly looking over at him, "but it's nothing you have to worry about." 

"Then why can't you tell me what it's about?" Quill pushed. 

"Because we don't want you getting upset. You, or Elara." Wynn explained. He reached over the short distance and placed his hand on Quill's knee, trying to assure him. 

"We're just looking out for you." 

Quill exhaled, feeling somewhat apologetic. "I know you are, but I- I want to look out for you guys as well."