Episode Two, Part 5:

S e r u m

Kodiak's body was heaving against the bed. By now, the serum had been in his veins for 20 minutes, and he had been unconscious for almost the entire time. It didn't seem to have as strong as an effect on him as it did with Elara; he wasn't screaming as such, but he was grunting and breathing heavily, and his hands would form fists at his sides, bashing onto the bed underneath him every now and then. 

Sol was pacing around the room, hoping that it was worth it for Aeryn and Fenn to get the answers they needed, but she couldn't stand to watch her friend suffer any longer. 

"I need to get some air." She announced to the group, gesturing to the door. "Someone alert me when he's awake." 

There were a few nods around the room before everyone's attention drifted back to Kodiak, waiting to see when he would wake up. But Wynn's eyes remained focused on Sol as she left. He felt empathy tugging in his heart that they both had to watch someone they love endure the physical precautions of the serum. 

He looked around, seeing that there were enough people there already, and hurried over to the door to follow Sol. It hadn't completely closed from when she had left as she was in such a hurry to get away, but as Wynn turned around to carefully shut it behind him, he noticed Elara sitting on the ground, just a few feet away. 

"Elara?" Wynn asked, not expecting to see her. "What are you doing out here? I thought you were resting." He crouched down in front of her, resting his hand on her knee. 

It was instantly noticeable how upset she was and Wynn worried that it had something to do with what she had told Sol. 

"Are you alright?" 

Elara nodded, wiping her cheeks to rid any evidence of her crying, but her eyes were red and swollen making it a dead giveaway. 

"What's wrong?" Wynnlow pushed. His tone was now firm and more serious, implying that he wouldn't leave until he had an answer. 

Elara forced a tired smile onto her face and rested her hand on top of his. She squeezed slightly, sniffling away her emotions. 

"I could hear what was going on in the room," she admitted. 

 Wynn shifted. None of them had wanted her to find out that Kodiak took on the serum, especially with the intent being to know what was going on in her head. 

"You know about Kodiak..." He muttered, shaking his head at himself. 

"Yeah," Elara mumbled. "And I heard what Riverly said as well." 

At the mention of her name, Wynn looked down the opposite end of the hallway, wondering if he had any chance of catching up to her now. He looked back at his sister. 

"She told me she knows what's going on in that head of yours." He frowned, tapping on the side of her head. 

Elara laughed and pushed his hand away, almost knocking him back as she did so. 

"Hey, don't take it out on me just because you've gone crazy," he continued to tease, desperate to keep that bright-eyed smile on his sister's face for as long as he could. All he could hear was Sol's voice in his head, repeating what she had said to them - that the thought of confessing what was going on made Elara fear that it would change the love they had for her. 

Even though Wynn knew that wasn't true, he was able to find the strength to refrain from digging deeper and let the opportunity of knowing her mind, pass him by again.