Episode Seven, Part 5:

Your Heart Has a Secret

Fenn and Ares were lounging in the Sovereign's Quarters, nothing for them to do until Targo and Riders appeared at the gates. He had to fight the urge to radio Wynn every few minutes and check in on them or see how far away they were from the labs. If it wasn't for Fenn refusing to leave his side, he don't know if he would have managed to remain calm. 

"You're worried," Fenn observed, gazing closely at Ares as he sat next to him. 

"I'm fine." 

"No, you're not. Your eye twitches when you are. It's a dead giveaway, but it's cute." 

Ares rolled his eyes. Any other time he would have enjoyed his flirting, but he knew it was just his attempts to distract him from the more pressing issues they were facing. 

"Fenn-" 

"Alright, alright," the boy held his hands up in surrender, laughing at Ares' inflexibility. "I'm sorry. I'm just trying to make you feel better." 

Ares softened at his words, knowing he was right. Trying to show his appreciation, his eyes flickered between Fenn's eyes, and his lips, gradually finding himself leaning in. The boy met him there halfway, their lips connecting and for a few sweet minutes, he had succeeded. 

"You are..." Ares mumbled, his warm breath hitting Fenn's skin. "You are making me feel good." 

Fenn smiled at his assurance, leaning in again. "That's great," he said breathlessly. "Because I could get used to this." 

//// 

"Hey!" Sol called out to her friend, jogging to catch up to him. Kodiak looked over his shoulder and slowed down once he saw it was Sol, waiting for her to join him at his side. 

She had noticed him pacing around camp and knew how anxious he would become if he was left alone to his brooding thoughts. She was much the same, struggling to find a way to silence the fear in her heart, not knowing who to turn to now that Wynn was gone. 

"How you feeling?" She breathed out. 

Kodiak smiled sympathetically, slowing his pace as they walked around together. "Terrified. Like I'm still trying to convince myself that we have a plan and that-" 

"It'll work. Yeah, I know the feeling." 

"I know she's with her brothers, but I... I just can't feel completely okay unless I'm with her," he confessed. After hearing himself back, he laughed nervously, hurrying to speak before Sol got a word out. "Man, that sounds horrible for me to say." 

"No," Sol assured him, grabbing onto his arm. "Anyone in your position would be feeling the same way. You love her. Of course you want to be at her side." 

Kodiak sighed, thinking on what she had said. "How are you dealing with him being out here?" 

"What?" The Nobel hurried out, pretending to not know what he was talking about. 

Kodiak stopped walking and turned to face her completely, an obvious look on his face as he waited for her to give in, like there was a part of him that thought she was joking. 

"About Wynn?" Kodiak asked, searching her eyes for recognition. For the moment that confirmed his suspicions. 

"Him and Quill will be fine-" 

"Riv..." Kodiak frowned, not pleased with the answer he had received. 

"What, Kodi?" She wasn't as desperate to hear his response. She was avoiding his eyes, pulling the collar of her red jacket away from her neck, looking around for something to distract her. 

Kodiak shifted, reaching down for her hand so she would trust him completely. Not feel a need to hide. "Do you honestly not know what I'm talking about?" He asked. 

Sol stared into his eyes for several moments, at war with herself to confess. As she quickly became overwhelmed, she twitched her hand away from her friend's, feeling herself grow hot with uncertainty. 

"You can talk to me about it. You know I'm here for anything-" 

"There's nothing to talk about. I don't know what you're suggesting," Sol rolled her eyes, speaking as she continued to walk, leaving Kodiak where he was for a second. 

Not satisfied with what she had said, he chased after her, grabbing onto her once again to get her to stop. "Then why are you walking away?" 

"Kodiak-" She whined. 

"No. What are you afraid of, Riv?" 

"Everything!" She retaliated, surprising herself with how fearful the words came out of her. She lowered her voice to a whisper, calming herself down as she met his eyes, gazing at him softly. "Everything," she repeated, fighting the tremble of her lips. 

"Hey," Kodiak murmured, pulling her closer in front of him. Although neither of the said it directly, it was obvious what they were talking about... Who they were talking about... 

"Just look at where we are today," Sol began, "look at how we're waiting for everything to go wrong in a second! I finally let myself feel something good with Noah, and I... I lost him. He died on me, Kodi..." 

The Sovereign couldn't find the right words to say. All he could do was pull his friend against him, letting her lean into his chest and find comfort in him, even if it was fleeting. 

"I can't feel that way for anyone ever again. I have a responsibility for our people and I know if I lose someone else that I love, I... I won't be able to pick myself up again. I won't be able to do my job." 

Kodiak pulled away, determined to meet his gaze. 

"But you already do..." He told her. 

Sol tilted her head, frowning, trying to decide whether or not she would be able to deny it anymore if Kodiak declared the truth. 

"You already feel that way again. About Wynn..." He smiled sadly. "And I think you did, even before Noah, and even after..." 

She had lost her breath, feeling like everything was starting to make sense in her mind as she spoke, but she didn't want it to. She didn't want him to be right, because that made everything so much harder now that he wasn't in camp - safe where she could see him. 

"Kodi..." 

"Don't worry," he smiled a little brighter. "Your secret's safe with me." 

It was a relief to Sol, though she knew she didn't have to even hear him say that for it to be true. 

"But I still don't know why this would be something you would hide. If anything, I'd imagine he feels the same way." 

The Sovereign seemed pleased with his statement, not offering anything else as he continued to walk laps of camp, Sol falling in line beside him. She was lost for words as well, but left trying to process everything, and what it meant... What would change for her now that her heart had figured it out? 

Seven // Part Five
You already do.

Well... There you go.

11/04/20

This book is so going to be finished tomorrow!!