Episode Four, Part 6:

C h e c k m a t e

Chessca stood in the labs, her attention focused on testing the chemicals in front of her, determined not to miscalculate anything. 

The door behind her slammed open and she jumped, caught off guard by the sudden noise. Some of the chemicals in her hand spilled into the beaker, and without knowing how much had gone in their, Chess worried that it would damage the serum. 

She sighed heavily, placing both of the beakers back onto the counter in frustration, snapping at Rhea. 

"You shouldn't jump up on me like that. Now the serum is ruined and I'll have to begin again." 

Rhea rolled her eyes. "You can still use that. You're not wasting it. You should have been more careful." 

"Fine." Chessca snapped. She hadn't turned around to face Rhea yet even though she knew that was what she was waiting for. 

Growing impatient, Rhea moved close to her. She pushed aside the younger girl's books and equipment and perched herself on top of the counter, obnoxiously swinging her legs back and forth. 

"How long until the serum is ready? We're all waiting on you to be able to get Elara. I hope you know that." 

Chessca bit her tongue, refraining herself from saying everything she wanted to. 

"There's enough to get someone through Phase 5 of The Alteration, I just don't know about this girl." 

"Meaning?" Rhea inquired. 

"Whether or not she survives it is incomparable to anyone else. I mean, if the process had never been interrupted, it would be different, but considering your Heir's cognitive functions are almost certainly declining  by now, we need to accept that we're not just getting her through the final phase, we're trying to keep her alive." 

Rhea frowned, her nose twitching in response and her feet hitting hard against the floor as she jumped down. 

"Just make it clear what you're trying to say," Rhea growled, already knowing exactly what she meant. 

Chessca sighed, debating the consequences as she twisted around to face her square on, but the desire to challenge Rhea was an opportunity too good to pass. 

"If your Heir dies, that'll be on you, because you couldn't keep her safe." 

A rage took over Rhea - a hatred too strong to control. She raised her hand up, swinging it forward and slapping her palm hard across Chessca's cheek. 

"If the Heir doesn't survive, neither will you." 

Chessca refused to clutch onto her cheek or show an ounce of pain for Rhea to see. She gritted her teeth, moving her head to face Rhea, surprised to see a glimmer of tears coat her eyes. Before anything else could be said, she stormed out of the room, walking into Chess' shoulder on her way past. 

As the door shut behind her and Chessca knew that Rhea was well and truly gone, she picked the beaker up from the counter, screaming in frustration as she slammed it against the wall. The serum spilled all over the floor, sizzling as it came into contact with the ground. 

"Damn it," she muttered under her breath, taking a moment to compose herself. She glanced back at the counter, trying to figure out how long it would take her to start again, and how much of the serum she could make.