Chapter Two

Meanwhile, Chase was looking for the cause of the fire, so he barked his drone out to look for any clues. He sent the drone to go around the building to see if there was anything around. He noticed a line of fire behind the warehouse coming from a dirt road leading to the woods.

“Ryder, I found something that might be the cause of the fire. Imma go check it out,” he told Ryder through his pup tag, where the rest of the pups can listen.

“Ok, go, and tell me if you need any help. Take a fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire,” he replied.

“Here, I got you,” said Marshall as he rolled a fire extinguisher towards Chase.

“Thanks, Marshall. And I will Ryder, sir” said Chase.

“Be careful, Chase,” said Skye through her pup tag worried about Chase.

“Yeah, Skye, you, too,” he replied, and with that, he went off to do his job.

He took the fire extinguisher and went towards where his drone was on his vehicle. He barked his drone back to his vehicle. Once he got there, he saw the river of fire flowing towards the building. He tried putting it out, but the fire reignited again. So he went further up the road, and instead of using his fire extinguisher, he put dirt over the fire which seemed to do the trick. He went right up to the building and covered that side with dirt too, so then no more fire can enter the warehouse, then he extinguished the fire he caught between the piles of dirt. He noticed an odd smell and realized it was oil.

He went further up the road. While he was going up the road, Chase extinguished the fire. He soon noticed that the oil and fire was coming from an oil barrel left from a construction job. No one was around, so he wondered who caused the fire, he extinguished the fire coming from a barrel and used the hook on his vehicle to pick it up straight. He took off the hook and examined the barrel. He noticed that on the opposite side of where the oil was coming from, there were some hoof marks. He figured it was a deer that got startled by it and kicked it.

But how did the oil catch on fire, he thought? He went back down the trail a bit and saw a few rocks in a circle where the oil had passed. He inspected the circle, which he soon realized that it was a circle of rocks that circled a campfire. He didn’t have any proof to support this claim, so he looked around. In the woods, there was a rope probably used to hold down a tent. Don’t lose it, reuse it, Rocky would’ve said, thought Chase. So he picked up the rope and took it to his vehicle.

He went back to the circle of rocks, and that’s when he noticed a few pieces of charcoal. Charcoal is made from burned wood. This was enough proof to prove his claim. He ran back to his vehicle. Just as he got in, his pup tag rang, it was Ryder.

“Chase, come back to the warehouse, it is out,” he said through the speaker.

“On my way, Ryder, sir,” Chase replied, and he went off toward the building, glad for himself since he did his job.

When he got there, Marshall and Ryder were checking the wreckage to see if they found anything. Skye was talking to Everest while Jake was talking to a bystander. He got out of his vehicle and ran into the building to meet Ryder.

While Skye was talking to Everest, in the corner of her eye she saw Chase ran into the building. She thought about him, she was so worried when he ran off towards the cause of the fire. She thought he was going to get hurt. Nevertheless, she couldn’t go to be with him as much as she wanted too.

“Skye,” Everest said shaking her, taking her out of her thoughts.

“Huh, you said something?” she asked.

“Yes, you were gone for a second.”

“Yeah, sorry.”

“Thinking about him again?”