Chapter Three

THE PUPS LOOKED AT EACH OTHER in disbelief. They all knew each other's background stories. But none of them knew Chase's or Marshall's background stories. They have asked before but Chase and Marshall kept quiet. Now they were about to hear the story they've been longing for. They all scooted forward to listen. No one said a word.

"Well, this will be fun," chuckled Marshall nervously. The other pups laughed quietly as well.

"Well," started Chase, "It all began two and a half years ago..."

-Flashback-

Marshall and Chase (their younger selves) were running through the woods. It was midnight. There were no clouds in the sky and there was a full moon. They were trying to run away from two bigger dogs. They have been running for a while now, and they didn't know where to go.

"Where should we go?" asked Marshall.

"I don't know yet," replied Chase.

There was some rustling in the bushes. "Well, think of something quick," said Marshall.

Chase turned to his right, he noticed a trail leading down the mountain. "There," he said pointing.

They both ran toward the trail, but the other dogs bounced on them. They were right on top of them, about to strike. The dog on top of Chase started to raise his paw to hit Chase, but another dog leaped from the shadows and pushed the dog off. Another dog leaped out of the same place and tackled the one on top of Marshall. They put the two young pups behind them and started to growl at the two attackers. One of the dogs that defended Chase and Marshall was a german shepherd like Chase and the other one was a dalmation like Marshall. The two attackers, who appeared to be Dobermans, growled one last time and fled.

The four dogs stayed there standing alone. Chase and Marshall slowly moved in front of the other two dogs. The pups had their heads down and their tails between their legs. The other two dogs stared at them with their amber and blue eyes.

"Sorry," said Chase and Marshall in unison, "Dad."

Marshall's dad was staring at his son. "How many times have I told you to stay near the house? Especially at this time," said Marshall's dad.

"Dad," stammered Marshall, "I...I...I..."

"Mr. Blaze, sir, it was my fault," interrupted Chase. "I told Marshall that we should go to the park. When we got there, we saw a squirrel and I decided it wouldn't be a bad thing if we followed it. I am sorry."

Blaze sighed. He turned to Chase's dad. "What do you think Max, what should we do with them?"

Max looked at his son. "Well, Blaze, they are still pups, we just need to make sure they don't do it again." He turned to the two pups. "Young pups, come here," the pups moved forward. "When I was in the Marines, I learned something very important that saved my life multiple times. That thing was, no matter how much you want to go around and just forget about everything, you have to put your job first. Remember this, and I know you would do great things, but your time is not here yet. When it is you will know, me and Blaze may not always be here to save you every time you get in trouble."

"Well, now that's settled," said Blaze, "Why don't we go back to the house, I'm starving."

The rest agreed. Max and Blaze picked up their kids and put them on their backs.

"Grab on tight now," said Max.

Once Chase and Marshall held on tight, Max and Blaze ran down the mountain.

They got to the house around one in the morning. The house was a small two-story red and blue house. The backyard was big enough to fit a basketball court. The backyard leads to the woods. When they went there, their owner, Justin, was waiting outside. He was a 22-year-old guy with brown hair. He wore a blue jacket, red shirt, blue jeans, and blue shoes. He was leaning against a 1970 dodge challenger.