Chapter Seven

Skye was still thinking about him when the thunder rolled in. She was scared of the storm. She wished she was with Chase. Being with him always took away her fears. She wanted to lean against him like the night before and feel protected. She closed the door to her pup house to reveal a picture of her and Chase the first day she knew him. In the photo, Skye was wearing Chase’s police hat. She remembered the day they first met him. Tiredness won her over and she fell asleep.

In her dream, she was back to the day she joined the Paw Patrol. Skye was in the woods when she heard a howl. It was still really early. She knew she had to run from it. She has been ever since the last she saw her parents, which was a week ago. She was tired of running. She was tired of being scared. She was tired of being alone. But she had no choice. She didn’t know what to do. She just kept running.

After what felt like forever, she ran into the edge of the cliff. She was about to fall off. At the bottom of the cliff, the sea hit against the rocks. She turned around to see if she was still being followed. After twenty seconds, something rustled in the bushes. A dog jumped out of the bushes. For the first time, under the full moon, she got a good glimpse at her persecutor. It was a large greyhound. It had red eyes and grey fur. It was big and tall. It had a cut over its right eye.

The dog growled and jumped toward Skye. Before it touched her, another dog pushed the greyhound away. The other dog growled at the greyhound. They greyhound tried to attack again. But the other dog, a german shepherd, moved out of the way with tremendous speed. When the greyhound landed, the german shepherd grabbed it by the hind leg and dragged it away. When he let go, the greyhound immediately ran off.

Once the greyhound left, the german shepherd turned around. When he stepped into the light, Skye was awestruck. The german shepherd appeared to be about a bit older than her. He had beautiful amber eyes, light and dark brown fur. He had pointed ears. She thought he was handsome. He started to come closer to Skye, which scared her. She was about to run for it as well when he started speaking.

“You don’t have to worry,” he said. His voice was calm and soothing. “Nothing will hurt you anymore. I promise. You’re safe now.” She wanted to believe him, but she didn’t feel safe. The german shepherd moved closer. “My name is Chase. What’s yours?”

“S… S… Skye,” she said in a trembling voice.

Chase smiled. “Come on, you look cold. Let’s get you inside.”

When he said that, almost immediately she realized how cold and how tired she was. She tried to move, but she collapsed. Chase turned back, walked toward her, and put her on his back. Despite the cold, his fur was warm. He walked slowly toward a giant tower.

He went through some sliding doors and put her down on a cushion near a fireplace. Chase sat down on a nearby cushion. Skye moved over and laid down right next to him. Next to him, she felt an instant feeling of protection. She also wanted to be with someone after being alone for a long time. Skye eventually fell asleep. She slept for a few hours and then woke up. Chase was sitting down next to her looking at the fireplace. He got up and walked away and came back a minute later with a bowl of food. He put the bowl right in front of her. Skye moved up to the bowl of food. She ate the food pretty fast.

“Man, you are a hungry little pup, aren’t you?” he said.

“Uh, yeah, well, I haven’t eaten in a while.”

“Well, you won’t have to worry about that anymore. You are with the Paw Patrol.”

“The what?”

“It’s a team that helps protect this town.”

“And are you like the leader?”

Chase chuckled. “Second-in-command. The leader is a kid named Ryder. He’ll help you.”