20

Christian

I followed Brad as he made his way inside

I followed Brad as he made his way inside. With every step I took closer to that building, all I could think about was just how creatively our parents were going to kill us, when they found out about this. It wasn't the possibility of if... but most definitely, rather, the inevitability of when.

Our mother would be the first to have a go at us for this absolutely terrible idea... but once Slav finds out, then it will really be a wrap. Brad looked tense as he walked on ahead of me. I think he was also thinking about our unavoidable death.

The doors to the facility were unnaturally weighted when I pulled on them. I took this as another sign from God, telling me to take our idiotic asses the fuck home. Of course that didn't stop Brad, and in return, it didn't stop me either...

... But I got this feeling that it should've.

That I should've turned us back around.

Then there was also that feeling of understanding. Understanding that this was something Brad felt that he needed to do. He had asked me to be here for support, and I decided that was the least I could do.

We passed through a seriously packed parking lot. For some reason, I expected it to be close to empty this time of day. That assumption made little to no sense considering I had never been to a correctional facility before. I just did my best to follow Brad's lead.

Once we entered the large building, we were met with an immediate wave of security. There were guards checking in and out of two main doors stationed at the very front of the building. The two doors looked to be heavily guarded by even more security. Some guards stopped what they were doing, to glance our way, but it was only momentarily before they continued on with their work. I was sure not one soul had recognized me here, and my narcissistic self didn't know how to feel about that.

There was a woman sitting at a desk between the two guarded doors. When she caught sight of us, she gave us a polite smile. "Good morning. How may I be of assistance today?"

I glanced down at the name plate on her desk. It looked like her name was Stephanie. I opened my mouth to reply, but Brad cut in before I could get a word out.

"We're here to pay a visit to an inmate." He replied. "I had called in earlier this week to set up an appointment." My head whipped around in Brad's direction immediately. When the hell had he done all that?

"Oh I can absolutely assist with that. May I just see a valid ID from the both of you, to get you two checked in?" She asked. Brad and I nodded, digging out our wallets to hand her each our drivers licenses. She got to work, click clacking away as her long manicured nails tapped against the keys on the keyboard.

I glanced around at my surroundings. The building felt very soul sucking, but I guess that was fitting for a prison. Stephanie handed us our ID's back in what felt like record timing, before she handed us two visitors badges. "You'll need to be checked in by security, which will be through that door on your right. Once you go through this process, two guards will escort you to the visiting area. It looks as if you are here to see inmate 61846-026- Vadik Ivanov. Is that correct?" Stephanie asked us.