Danger and Possession

Contrary to common belief, Roger is quite an insightful person. 

He knows when the crowd isn't happy or when his act needs to bring up people. He knows when people start to look into their drinks they start to lose interest. Roger also knows when the world outside his club is horrible, it's his job to make people laugh and forget about what going on outside his doors. 

He also knew that Jessica was unhappy.  

Roger remembers how Jessica faked her smiles for the crowd and held back the flinches when the men in the club would try to grab a hold of her. The first time he saw Jessica, she had smoothly and quickly left the stage and ran into her room to hide. Roger remembers the tight pain in his chest whenever he saw Jessica's smile didn't reach her eyes and he remembers the promise he made to himself.

'No matter what it takes, I'm going to make her laugh!

It took all of his courage and the right moment to get a moment alone with her. He had a couple of jokes ready for Jessica but Roger froze. He remembers how her cerulean eyes stared straight at his baby blues and made his mind go blank. Yes, Jessica was beautiful, but it wasn't her beauty that made his mind go blank. It was all the emotions that her eye held. So much pain, so lonely and worrisome. 

Roger lost his courage and ran away...

Straight into an aired up pool filled with jello for the next act. 

Oh, Roger remembers how mad the manager was and how much he blabbered out nonsense, apologizing for messing up the show and then he heard it. The sweetest sound ever. 

Jessica laughing. 

Roger ran again but this time with determination.

The second time Roger saw Jessica, he made sure to dip his shoes on some industrial glue to make his feet stick onto the stage, he made an effort to make it seem like he was trying to get them off...unfortunately he miscalculated the amount of glue he actually had on and it took three crewmen to eventually saw him off the stage, the crowd love it and so did Jessica. 

Confidently, it was the first time Roger and Jessica spoke. He still had pieces of wood on his feet and sawdust all over him, but they spoke for hours on end. After two weeks of constant talking and laughter, Jessica had felt she had trusted Roger with her most precious treasure. 

Jessie. 

He was just a little tyke back then. A little boy who glared at anyone who so much looked at Jessica the wrong way. Roger was just as nervous with Jessie as he was with Jessica, but eventually his awkward blabbering and jokes made Jessie open up to him. Roger had loved the boy like he was his little brother. 

And like the insightful person Roger was, he noticed how Jessica treated Jessie. One could assume that 'Big sister raised him, so she is mother figure.' No, Roger knew that Jessica was his mother. Jessica left some tidbits of her life out but Roger was able to put two and two together and figured out the truth. 

He eventually told her a couple of months later and Jessica cried her eyes out, thinking he believed the worst from her but no. Roger loved Jessica too much and Roger loved Jessie just as well and he assured Jessica for her strength to continue with her life and raise Jessie. Jessica was so happy she cried once more. 

That was the night Roger proposed to Jessica and he became the happiest man on the planet. That night he made another promise to himself. 'I will always protect them.'

He failed to live up to that promise. The night he lost Jessica, he was out doing his act when Jessica was asleep unknowingly that their house was ablaze. The love of his life gone in sleep without ever saying goodbye.