Chapter 53: Leaked Lies

When we were all in position, Viggo threw the dagger down to the Dragon Hunter base.  The Skrill tore through basically everything, and we took the chance to rush inside.  We quickly met a group of Hunters with Johan at the head.  We went behind a rock, but it was too late.  Johan held out his hands and the Hunters crossbows went up.

   "Great,"  I breathed quietly.  "Now what?"  "I wanted to thank you, Hiccup, for getting me this far,"  Viggo said.  "What -?"  Hiccup asked.  Oh, right, this part.  Viggo punched Hiccup in the stomach.  I tensed, putting a hand on my sword's handle, but he quickly held his dagger (how many did he have!?) at Hiccup's throat.  "One false move and your master dies."  He threatened.  Frostflake, Whiplash, and Toothless all growled, threats, both real and not, being shot at the head Hunter.

   "Grimborn."  Johan gasped; it was kind of hilarious to see the shocked look on his face.  If this was a real betrayal, it would've almost made the trip worth it.  Almost.  "I thought you were dead.  Please forgive me -"  Johan started.  "Had our roles been reversed I would've done the same,"  Viggo said.  "To prove there are no hard feelings I brought you a little gift!"  Viggo shoved Hiccup toward Johan, resulting in him on the ground.  Whiplash, Frostflake, and Toothless were muzzled, although Whiplash was brought somewhere else, and two Hunters grabbed my arms.  "Agh!"  I growled.

   "What are you doing?" Hiccup asked.  "Getting us killed, what does it look like?"  I muttered.  "You're too innocent, Hiccup, too pure.  Someday it will get you killed."  He smirked and nodded a Johan, who chuckled.  "Agh!"  I growled.

   We were shoved into a cage in another room.  "I knew you'd betray us, Viggo."  Hiccup growled.  "You didn't change,"  I added, my gaze cut to the wall behind Viggo's legs.  "After all of your flowery talk, you are nothing more than just a common criminal!"  Hiccup yelled.  I glanced up to see something strange in Viggo's narrow-eyed expression.  Was it...pity?  Hurt?  Anger?  No, not anger.  And not quite pity.  Maybe pain?  Even though Hiccup's words were fake, they probably still cut deep if Viggo really had changed.

   "Tell me, Viggo, how did you managed to capture Hiccup Haddock and Kiara when so many others, including me, have failed?"  Johan questioned.  Viggo chuckled.  So he didn't tell Johan... I finally admitted it to myself.  that I'm his daughter.  And if he did Johan's either denying it or not mentioning it.  "It was my most clever gamblet.  Simple, but effective."  Viggo chuckled.  "Simple, but effective.  I convinced them that I wanted to betray you and needed their help."

   "Impressive."  Johan praised.  He sounded...disbelieving.  Had he really figured us out already?  Hiccup's gaze was filled with so much hatred for Viggo and Johan alike - not fake hatred, not even for Viggo - I could almost see them getting charred by the heat of it.  My gaze raced over the bars of the cage.

   Krogan entered the room with his axe held up.  "And what about the Skrill?"  "A necessary evil to get him to trust me.  I do hope none of your flyers were injured in the battle."  Viggo explained.   "Let's just get this over with and kill them."  Krogan stepped closer, and I tensed, meeting his gaze.  This was someone I would forever loath the way Hiccup did Viggo.

   "Need I remind you that lenses are our top priority?  We only need one more - Hiccup here can bring it to us."  Viggo said, stepping in the way.  Johan's eyes narrowed.  "Hm."  Ok, yup, he definitely knew.  Viggo, let us pray you can fight Johan as well as you can deceive Hiccup's moves if it comes to it.  I thought.  Then I double-checked what I was hearing.  Lenses?  Why?  Did it have something to do with the lense Dagur went to get?  Did he ever get it, come to think of it?

   "This conversation would be better served in private,"  Johan said, gesturing toward the doorway.  As soon as they were gone, I let out a long, relieved sigh.  "You ok?"  Hiccup asked.  "Define ok.  I got just fake-thrown into a cage as a fake gift by my dad."  My voice lowered significantly.  "I'm just peachy."  He sighed.

   "And what does he mean by 'lenses are their top priority'?"  I continued.  "Does it have something to do with the lense Dagur went to get?  Did he ever get it?  Is this going to work?  Am I just being overly paranoid?"  "Uh...one of those."  Hiccup said.  "Look, Kiara -"  Hiccup started.

   Frostflake butted my hand with her head.  I had honestly forgotten the dragons were in there, too.   I heard an explosion.  "That's our cue!"  Hiccup and I sprang to our feet.  Hiccup pulled a key out of his leg and unlocked the cage while I unmuzzled Toothless and Frostflake.  "I really hope this works."  He muttered.

   "Hey!"  When we left the room, two Hunters aimed crossbows at us.  Frostflake froze on, Toothless blasted and knocked out the other.  "Let's go."  I breathed, rushing after our dragons.  We approached a room.  "That's it!  The Dragon Eye and the lenses should be in there!"  Hiccup pointed.  "Let's go."  

   We walked carefully, and I tugged Hiccup back before he activated a couple of traps.  We walked up to the chest, which was on a pedestal, and checked it for traps.  "It doesn't look like there are any traps.  Kiara?"  Hiccup asked.  "Good to go, let's open it, find Viggo, Whiplash, and Spark, and get out of here.  Spark is the Skrill, by the way."  When Hiccup opened it, however, it was empty.

   "They knew we were coming Viggo tipped Johan off!  Ah, how could I have been so stupid?"  Hiccup growled.  "Apparently, Johann wasn't as easy to fool as I thought."  Viggo rasped from the doorway, Spark beside him.  I instantly noticed he was leaning on a rock like he was struggling to stand upright.

   "Viggo..."  I murmured, approaching him.  Frostflake growled uncertainly.  Viggo went from one rock to a table with a wheezing breath.  "This is it for me."  He coughed.  "The end of the game."  I sucked in a sharp breath.  "N - no, it can't be.  We'll get you to Defenders of the Wing Island - we'll - we'll heal you, Viggo."  Tears threatened to escape my eyes.  

   I looked at the six arrows that stuck out of Viggo's back.  "When Krogan and Johann left me for dead a Monstrous Nightmare saved me, similar to how your dragon stopped you from hurting me."  Viggo rasped.  "I've spent my whole life hunting dragons, killing them.  And I've coming to respect them as equals.  You taught me that, both of you.  It's the final irony I suppose."

   Viggo coughed.  "Over here!"  A man called.  "We'll hold them off with Spark so you can make it out.  Take Viggo, and go.  We'll be alright."  I said, forcing Viggo onto Toothless.  Hiccup hesitated, then nodded.  Hiccup, Toothless and Viggo ran out.  Spark, Frostflake and I approached the Hunters.  

   "You guys fly, I've got this,"  Spark said confidently.  We didn't hesitate when he started to make a bubble of electricity.  We caught up to Hiccup and Toothless and barely outflew it...

   Just to get caught in a net the moment we left the cave.