Chapter 73: The Truth

"A hundred generations ago, a woman named Turan lost her best friend, a Speed Stinger named Gold.  She believed the King of Dragons to be a god, so she searched for him for years and finally found him.  She told him about her journey and everything she had done with her dragon, then pleaded for him to bring her friend back.

   "Years before, the King had been presented with a gift: the gift to grant any family a wish.  He had practiced all his life to learn human and told her that if she could make her wish somehow benefit all of her descendants, he would be able to grant her her dragon.

   "Turan wished that whenever the parent of someone lost a dragon close to them their child, whether it was born or expected at the time of the loss or not,  would be given the ability to turn into that dragon.  The Alpha requested that she try to find a downside, as when he tried to grant the wish it wouldn't let him, and she said that the child wouldn't be able to resist the Alpha's command and it would have a rare chance of having the memories of the dragon.

   "I had taken the life of your mother's best friend, a Fire Wraith named Freya."  Viggo chuckled lightly, although there was a sharp pain in his gaze that he wouldn't normally had let through.  "She came to the island one night, hoping to rescue her dragon, but my men caught her.  She tried to escape many times, and nearly succeeded once, so I brought her to my chambers to speak with her."

   "But...that doesn't make sense..."  I said.  "How does...killing her friend turn into...well....this."  I gestured to myself, and Viggo kept going.

   "Something there must've made her let her guard down...and something about her made me let mine down in turn.  She eventually accepted being part of the Hunters, but soon after you were born, she died trying to take you to another island.  Truthfully I've always wondered if she really loved me, or if she just wanted to bring her friend back."  Viggo admitted.

   I blinked at the grass below me, and the ocean beyond that.  Frostflake nosed her head underneath my arm, making me chuckle.  "So that's why when everyone was freed from the Alpha's control..."  "You remained influenced,"  Viggo confirmed.  

   I shivered.  "The others probably need help rebuilding the village - we should go back,"  I said, getting up.  "Agreed,"  Viggo said.

   That's when Dagur showed up.

   (Sorry for the short chapter - I hope you enjoyed the explanation!  Also, let me know if anybody has ideas for between HTTYD 2 and 3 because I don't really want to just skip over that again (I also have a feeeeeeeeew relationships to build up...;)!)