Chapter 67: Lost Lineage, Part 2

Suddenly, a large, brown-orange dragon burst out of the clouds.  Four large bat wings stirred the clouds around us and an owl-like head tilted at the four of us.

   "Hold on,"  Hiccup said, holding out a hand.  The masked figure wielded a staff and a mostly-blue oval shield.  My eyes widened.    A screech came from behind us.  We all glanced back with wide eyes.

   Two dragons snatched Hiccup and I off of our dragons.  "Toothless!"  Hiccup cried as the Night Fury fell towards the icy water below.  "Wha - Frostflake!"  I yelled.  "Save Toothless!"  Frostflake stopped, looking at me for a long moment.  "I'll be ok, girl." I assured her.  "Go."  Frostflake nodded, turned, and flew back for Toothless.

   "Uh, there's something wrong with this one!"  The dragon carrying me roared up to the lead stranger.  "What is it THIS time, Sharpmask?"  The lead dragon roared.  "There is NOTHING wrong with me!"  I snapped, outraged.  The lead dragon whirled around as his eyes widened.  "Wait - hold up - did she just -"  He started.  "Talk?"  I guessed.  "And finished your sentence?  And understand you?  Yes, yes I did."

   "Seriously,  Cloudjumper, there's something wrong with her."  Sharpmask repeated.  "I'll show you something wrong with -" I cut myself off and lowered my voice into inaudible mutters.

   We were taken through a hole in the mountain with watery air smacking our faces.  I heard Frostflake roar and saw her carrying Toothless after us.  The two stood in front of their Riders after we were dropped off, growling.  The masked rider, after shaking her staff and causing the dragons around the room to light it up with flame in their mouths, did some motion to Toothless and made him roll over with a sleepy moan.  She did the same thing with Frostflake, editing the last part slightly, and the Frost Wraith slumped forward and fell asleep.

   "Who are you?"  Hiccup asked, backing away.  "The Dragon Theif?  Drago Bloodfist?"  I gritted my teeth.  "A skyshark?"  A couple of dragons chuckled before being silenced by Cloudjumper.  "Do you even understand what I'm saying?"  Hiccup asked.

   The figure brushed Hiccup's chin near a small scar I had barely paid attention to up until now.  "Hiccup?"  asked a muffled, slightly choked voice.  "Uh...uh...should I...should I know you?"  The Dragon Rider asked.  The figure took off her mask, revealing brown hair similar in shade to Hiccup but slightly lighter and with small streaks of white in it.

   "No," she admitted.  "you were only a babe."  I narrowed my eyes in confusion, then gasped when I connected the dots.  "But a mother never forgets."