Two Stallions on the Mountain Side

Trigger warning(s): swearing, Remus?, innocent Virgil

A small colt trotted nervously through the undergrowth of the great Montana wilderness. His large eyes were scanning the area around him as he heard animals shift and skitter among the foliage, setting off his heightened nerves. He kept on high alert, his ears at a constant perk and his head held low as to not attract attention to himself. The foal was so focused on his surroundings that he didn't notice his path change into a small hill side until the ground disappeared from under his hooves. A sharp whiny of surprise was cut short as he went tumbling down the hill side, head over hoof to the bottom. He landed with a soft thud of the damp soil beneath him. The colt lay on the grass, his head throbbing from the tumble and his legs a tangled mess at his side. The foal laid there as he felt a pit of loneliness and despair grow within him, over taking his fragile hope of getting back home to his mother and to his home.

"Hey Janus! I think something just fell over here," a voice suddenly called through the wind.

The colt perked his ears up at the sound of another being and slowly lifted his head to see a blurry brown figure trotting over to him. The black weanling squirmed a bit, untangling his legs and pulling them underneath his body, trying to push itself to his small hooves. He stood on wobbly legs as the brown creature approached him and another lighter colored creature joined them.

"What poor animal did you drop here this time Remus?" a new voice said causing the colt to pin his ears and widen is stance as to not fall over.

"I'm not an animal! I'm a horse!" the colt snorted in annoyance.

"Hon, horses are animals. And what's a handsome colt like you doing out in mustang territory anyways? You are definitely not from here," the second voice nickered.

Upon closer inspection the colt saw two horses standing before him, one a light brown color and the other a dark brown. The darker one looked like a yearling with a too short mane and tail and odd leg to body proportions, but not odd enough to be a foal. The other looked to be a young adult, with a longer mane and tail, but features edged with youth. The pair were odd looking, but who was the colt to judge. Back to the second steed's question.

"I... well I lived with my mom, but the master and his stallions tried to take me away from her. I got spooked and ran into the forest then got lost out here. I'm sorry if I'm causing any problems," the black colt answered while shuffling his hooves in the dirt.

"You're not causing any problems. What's your name colt?" the darker horse snorted.

"Well the people who raised me named me Anxiety, but my mom calls me Blackie. I don't really like either of those names and a friend told me a name I really liked and I've been calling myself that. Oh, the name was Virgil and I'm rambling, sorry," the colt -Virgil- said while lowering his head and ears.

"No need to apologize and I think that's a nice name. You were right to change it to that, the other two were shit!" the darker brown steed whinnied while tossing his head in the air, forelock flipping to the other side of his head.

"I'm Remus and oldie over here is Janus," the stallion said as he flicked his tail at the tan stallion.

"Remus I'm one year older than you. I'm not an oldie," the lighter stallion -Janus- said with a huff.

"Ah, hay, alfalfa. Just same shit with a different-ish flavor," Remus snickered.

"That's wrong and you know it, but whatever. Virgil, do you know what your home is or where?" Janus sighed as he turned his attention to the young colt.

"Well, it's a area with large pastures and stalls for us to sleep, but I've never seen any other part except for the mare and foal area," said Virgil while flicking his fluffy tail.

"Alright. I know of only one large horse breeding area that's still active near here and it's in the valley. We can take you there," Janus said while looking off in the distance to Virgil's right.

"Oh no! You don't have to do that!" Virgil whinnied.

"We insist, it's dangerous to travel alone in the wilderness. Besides, it's no big deal and we sure can take you," snorted Remus, pawing the dirt. "Let's get going. I think we can make it in only a few hours."

Remus took the lead with Virgil in the middle and Janus bringing up the back.