Lock Picking and Horse Races

Trigger Warnings:

Virgil followed Logan to the barn, Virgil keeping close to Logan's left flank since he didn't really like barns or buildings. Logan led him to a wooden door and stood in front of it.

"The food and treats are behind this door," said Logan.

"Okay? Why did you show me this?" asked Virgil, tilting his head.

"I don't know. I just thought you might want a treat, but I have never been able to open it," said Logan.

Virgil looked at the lock and his ears perked up. It was just like the lock on his old stall when he was a colt. They're very simple to open, just lift the metal bit, push to the side then push the door open, or pull it with the metal bit. And Virgil did just that, pushing the door open with his leg and walking in.

"What?! How?!" Logan asked, stepping in next to him.

"I was born with humans. As a colt I learned how to unlock my stall to see the stars at night. It was comforting," answered Virgil, looking around.

"Amazing, so this is what they've been hiding from us," said Logan, looking around at the feed bags and treat jars.

"Nice, but I'm leaving. I don't want to get into trouble," said the friesian, turning to find the three humans all standing in the door way.

Virgil froze, his eye round and ears dropping a bit to show his fear. Logan looked over to see them as well, letting out a disappointed snort. The Thomas walked in and clipped a black lead rope to Logan's navy blue and black halter, leading him out of the room and back to the paddock. Talyn and Joan beaconed Virgil out who nervously came trotting through the walkway into the field where everyone was waiting.

"What did you do this time?" Janus asked as if he knew something.

"I opened the door to the feed room. We didn't eat anything though," said Virgil, flicking his tail.

"You can't you anywhere without getting into trouble, can you?" snickered Remus, tossing his long mane.

"Nope. I'm just a disaster waiting to happen," said Virgil with a laugh.

"This is nice. So do you guy think you'll be staying?" asked Patton, his honey brown eyes bright in the sunlight.

"Probably. We'll just have to wait and see," said Janus.

"Hey Virgil, you want to race?" Remus asked, a hint of mischief in his voice.

"Sure," answered the black stallion.

"Oh there they go again," sighed the buckskin, watching the two prance over to the fence.

"Hey, wait up! I want to join and leave you two in my dust," whinnied Roman, cantering over to then.

They stayed in a single file line until Janus gave them the all clear, the three galloping around the paddock. Virgil quickly took the lead, Remus just behind him and Roman hastily galloping to catch up. They ended up racing around the field for the rest of the day, Logan even joining in for one of them and becoming a match for Virgil's speed. They were all happy and content, the groups taking to one another nicely (if you exclude Roman's and Remus' constant brotherly bickering). They were becoming a family.

If only they knew who would be coming for Virgil.