Over-Stallion

Virgil laid on the ground for a while, only moving his tail to flick flys off his hindquarters. He really was a dreadful sight to look at, a large black stallion laying in defeat near the edge of the fence doing absolutely nothing. It was kinda heartbreaking. That's what opted the humans to release Patton, Logan, and Roman into the paddock with him in hopes of cheering the stallion up from his depressing state. The three stallions looked between one another as they've never seen such a pitiful horse in all their lives.

Patton decided he would go try comforting Virgil since nobody else would. The petit stallion slowly started to trot over to the black stallion, careful to not pound his hooves on the ground. Once close to the sulking stallion he lowered his head and nickered softly, "Virgil, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. If you're trying to comfort me then you can stop. I don't need your pity," mumbled Virgil who was staring under the fence with a longing look in his eyes.

"I don't think you're fine. Is there anything that I can do to make you feel better?" Patton asked, folding his legs beneath him and laying next to the friesian.

Virgil didn't answer for a few moments.

"I miss them," he finally admitted, the sadness in his voice breaking Patton's heart.

"Your herd?" Patton asked, unsure what to say since he didn't know much about wild horses.

"Not a herd," Virgil said.

"Pardon?"

"It didn't live in a herd. A herd is a group of families with one lead family. There're no herd in the mountains, only band which is like one family group," Virgil explained.

"Oh so you lived in a band?" Patton asked.

"Sorta. Bands typically have only one stallion with two to seven mares with their young. I just lived with two other stallions so we were more of a bachelor herd than a band," Virgil corrected.

"I'm confused. What's a bachelor herd?" Patton said.

"A bachelor herd is we're all the young or old stallions who don't have a band. They'll live together until one manages to steal a mare or two and then they'll start a band from there," Virgil explained, lifting his head up to look at Patton.

"Well that's rude. Why would you steal a mare? Why can't the mare choose who she wants to live with?" Patton exclaimed.

"That's just the law of the mountains, thankfully I've never had to deal with that kind of tomfuckery. I just stayed with Janus and Remus," said Virgil.

"One; language, two; who are Janus and Remus?" questioned Patton, tilting his head so his forelock flopped over his right eye.

"They are my family. I miss them so much. I wish I could go back to them, they must be so worried," murmured the black stallion.

"I'm sorry that you had to be taken away from them, but maybe it won't be so bad. How's about you come meet Logan, Roman, Remy, Emile, Thomas, Joan, and Talyn? I'm sure they'll love you," Patton said, rising to his hooves.

"I don't know. That sounds like too many at once," said Virgil, looking at the ground.

"We'll go slowly. First you can meet Roman and Logan," the small palomino said.

Virgil nodded and heaved himself up to his hooves, following Patton to the other steeds who were waiting several tail-lengths away from them. Virgil kept his head low and stayed behind Patton, never meeting the other two horses' eyes.

"Logan, Roman, this is Virgil. He's from the wild!" Patton introduced.

"Patton we were there when Joan, Thomas and Talyn brought him here. We know he's from the wild," Logan said with a tint of sarcasm in his tone.

"No need to be so salty about it Mr. Smarty Hooves," Roman snorted before stepping closer to Virgil and Patton.

"Greetings Virgil. As Patton said my name's Roman," Roman said with a loud whinny, but Virgil could detect a hint of disgust in his voice.

"Salutations, my name is Logan. Pleasure to meet your acquaintance," Logan said.

"Hi," Virgil said meekly.

"So Virgil, what was it like out in the wild? Meet any unwanted dangers? Did you ever sleep out in the rain? Ever have a food shortage? And do you think you're so great? Here to take away my title?" Roman started firing questions, stepping closer to Virgil with every word until his forehead was merely inches from Virgil's.

Virgil was startled by this, unable to form words. He was slightly panicking from Roman's accusations about him. Unable to answer the chestnut stallion and hating how close he was Virgil did what he did to all stallions who got too close to for comfort. He pulled his forehead away before wamming it against Roman's in a head-butt.

The chestnut stallion screeched in surprise and skittered backwards, his eyes round as he was stunned. Virgil started forwards, his head held high and his mind in what Remus liked to call his "Over-Stallion Mode" as he advanced towards Roman.

"Don't come at me like that. I may not show it, but I do not tolerate any accusations against me. Don't do it again because I will not hesitate to repeat what I just did," Virgil said while glaring down at Roman.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry!" Roman said, lowering his ears.

"Good. Now for your questions, the wild was amazing in my opinion. Pure utter freedom except for when Janus told Remus and I off for horse playing. Yes there are unwanted dangers, but that's was expected, it the wild after all. Also, as long as you have good protection and travel with friends it's unlikely you'll be attacked. No we don't sleep out in the rain, we would find a cave or some form of shelter to sleep when it's raining or snowing. Food shortages are to be expected, but we manage since we don't have to fight other stallions for food. And no I don't want to replace you here. I want to leave as soon as possible and get back home! Your stupid humans just dragged me here against my will and you expect me to get over it?! No! I'm not over it! I will never be over it!" Virgil shout, slapping his hooves into the ground causing all three horses to skitter backwards.

Virgil snorted in frustration, but composed himself enough to not lash out at anyone again. He looked up to see Roman, Logan, and Patton staring at him with mixtures of emotions. Patton's eyes were round in fright as well as Roman's while Logan seemed intriguing by his display.

"Sorry," Virgil muttered.