We Will Always Be With You

Virgil was standing in the center of the coral with his head low and ears flopped over. His eyes were closed and the stallion was almost asleep when he heard the distant sound of hooves pounding against the earth. Sleepy, but intrigued Virgil lifted his head and looked around to see what was the cause of the noise. He squinted at the dark forest on one side of the fence, but was only met with shadows and stillness. He knew none of the other horses could be making this noise so he ruled out the barn and the humans were all asleep in their house.

That only left the hill.

The pounding got louder, more powerful. It was too strong to be deer, too graceful to be mountain goats and too authoritative to be wolves or any other predators. In all honesty it sounded like two horses were galloping up the hill, but who in their right mind would be coming to a horse ranch if they valued their freedom.

Virgil was about to find out as he saw two horse silhouettes crest the hill side, both swiveling their heads as if looking for something. Virgil tilted his head before trotting over to the fence to see if he could gets better look. His movement must've cause the horses' attention as they both turned their heads to look down at him. With the moon being only half and shining right behind the stallions Virgil couldn't quite make out their color, but they looked very familiar.

Suddenly the taller of the two steeds let out a piercing whinny, the sound shattering the silence of the night.

"Virgil!"

The friesian reared and whinnied back as the familiar call rang though his brain and warmed his heart.

"Remus! Janus!" he shouted, black hooves flying in the air as he called his family.

The two stallions started running down the hill side, Remus taking the lead of the two in their dash. Just as they reached the fence the two leaped over the barrier, landing hard on the other side, but quickly composing themselves. Virgil let out a foal like blee as he galloped over to the two, shoving his muzzle in Janus' mane as he felt them rap their necks around his in a group hug.

They stayed like that for several long minutes, Virgil drinking in the fresh scents of pine, wild wheat grass and water that clump to the two horses' hides. They finally broke their huddle and gazed into each other's eyes. Janus immediately started going mother on Virgil, spouting questions on his wellbeing and thoroughly checking him over for injuries. His eyes narrowed when he found the scratches and roughed up fur on his sides from Virgil's first night there, but Virgil assured him that he was perfectly fine.

"You gave us quite the scare Virgil. If we didn't find you I don't think Janus would've slept ever again. He stayed up all night waiting for you to come back," Remus nickered.

"Sorry I worried you Janus. As you can see I was a little stuck," muttered Virgil as he flicked his long tail at the fence.

"Never, EVER, scare me like that again Virgil! I was so worried something horrible happened to you!" Janus said, stomping a hoof on the ground.

"It's okay. I'm okay, but how are we going to get out of here? We can't jump over the fence from this direction because of the hill. You two literally just gave up your freedom for me," Virgil said sadly.

"Who gives two shits if we gave up our freedom. All that matters is that we're together again. Virgil I can assure you that both Janus and I would rather be trapped in a human ranch with you than be free in the open wild without you. You're our family and we're not giving you up for anything," Remus snorted, resting his head on Virgil's back.

Janus nickered in agreement and Virgil let out a happy sort. The stallion shook his head at his family's dedication and he felt his heart warm. These horses loved and cared for him, clearly willing to do anything to keep him. That's why he loved them so much and why he missed his family. They were always together and nothing can stop them.

"Now how about we all sleep and deal with this in the morning. Let's just enjoy the fact that we're all together again," said Janus.

They all agreed and formed their little sleep huddle with Janus leaning on Virgil, Virgil leaning on Remus and Remus leaning against Virgil as well. Virgil has his head resting on Janus' back and Remus' head was resting on Virgil's while Janus just had his head hanging down.

This was perfect.

*Edit 3/25/20*
I know for the most part this book has been realistic, but I wanted to add bit of unrealism to it. Although I want to make sure it won't make anyone uncomfortable.
Would y'all be alright if I add some mpreg into the story?
I want to make sure y'all don't get uncomfortable with the thought, but it's something I like writing, sorta, and I thought it would be fun. Just let me know in the comments.