Here Kitty Kitty

~Two years later~

The sound of thundering hooves rumbled through the valley. Grazing animals looked up to see two horses, one a dark brown like the pine tree's bark and the other a black darker than a night with no moon. The two steeds were charging across the open valley, the black one taking the lead in the race as his mane and tail ripped like black waves in the wind. The pair skidded to a stop near a large lake, both breath heavily from their race with sweat dripping off their hides.

"I won," the black stallion said with a chuckle.

The bay looked up and nickered in agreement.

"Yes, I've trained you well my young apprentice," he teased.

Another stallion came to join the two, but at a much slower pace. He trotted up to the pair before stopping.

"Remus, Virgil, why must you always make everything a compilation? We were seriously only coming to get a drink and way you just had to make it a race," he said with an annoyed snort.

"That's just who we are as horses Janus. There's no force on this land that can change us," Remus laughed before walking over to the lake.

He walked in to where the water was at his knees before lowering his head and drinking the cool, refreshing liquid. Virgil followed right behind him, but rather drink he walked out deeper until he couldn't touch the ground anymore. From there he began to swim, the cool water washing over his hide and clearing away all the dirt and grass collected on his pelt. Janus stayed on shore grazing the juicy green grass, his brown tail swishing every now and again to rid his hindquarters of pesky flys.

After a quick swimming session and drying off both Remus and Virgil joined Janus in grazing. The three stallions were at peace; the day nice, the sky scattered with fluffy white clouds, and the weather was mild.

Nothing could go wrong. . . . . . . until it did.

A roar shattered the peace, flocks of birds taking flight in fear because of it. The three horses jerked their heads up in surprise and panic to see a mountain lion charge out from the forest line towards them. Fight or flight reflexes kicked in causing the horses to turn tail and gallop away from the danger.

They had almost made it to the other tree line when the predator pounced, leaping onto Janus' back. The buckskin stallion screamed in fright before he started bucking and kicking, trying to get the great cat off his back. Janus tripped on a duvet in the ground, sending him and the cat head over hoof (or paw) onto the ground. They landed with a thud, the mountain lion leaped to its paws before it started circling Janus who was heaving himself back up. The mountain lion prepared to pounce again and Janus was preparing to meet his end at the claws of this creature, but those thoughts were shattered when he heard the mountain lion scream.

The oldest stallion looked up to see Virgil rearing over the mountain lion, said creature cowering as it held its left paw close to hits body. Virgil snorted fiercely before slamming his hooves down on the ground with such might that it echoed around the valley.

"GET LOST FLEA PELT!!!" Virgil screamed at the cat, flashing his teeth to frighten it more.

The cat skittered around and booked it to the forest, tail between its legs and paw elevated as it ran. Virgil snorted as it left before turning his attention back to Janus.

"Are you okay?" the friesian asked while sniffing him from ear to hoof.

"I'm find Virgil, but what the hell did you do to that cat?" asked Janus in astonishment.

Virgil looked away from Janus, his ears falling back on his head. He took a few seconds before answering.

"I crushed its paw under my hoof. It'll either die since it can't hunt or survive with a game leg. Either way I ruined its life."

"Janus! Virgil! What happened?! Are y'all okay?! I was runnin' but y'all weren't behind me!" a terrified Remus yelled as he came galloping over to them.

"We're fine Remus. The mountain lion just tried to make a nice meal outta Janus so I had to break its paw," dismissed Virgil.

"You WHAT!?" Remus screeched in surprise, rearing up a bit.

"It doesn't matter now. What matters is that I'm alive, you two are safe, and the lion is gone. Let's just get back to our valley," said Janus, taking the lead to their trek back home.

Remus and Virgil followed, Virgil in the middle and Remus in the back. Virgil was always in the middle, he's the baby of the party after all.