Chapter 6

"So, you're saying that Harry Potter calmed you down from a full-on meltdown?"

Draco glared at Blaise. "No, I'm saying that he thought I was in trouble and jumped to save me like the chosen one he thinks he is."

Blaise hummed. "Right. And you're sure it wasn't his forest green eyes that brought you back to reality? Because that sounds more like you."

"Shut it, prat."

"There's nothing wrong with that. I mean, he is easy on the eyes and if you weren't so obsessed with him, I would have already tried to get with him—"

"Don't even start, Zabini," Draco growled.

"Relax. You know I'm more of a ladies man," Blaise winked. "Most of the time."

"As riveting as this conversation has been, I've got work to do." Draco stood up from his chair in the Slytherin common room and walked toward the exit.

"Tell Potter I say 'hi'!" Blaise called and Draco flipped him off.

****

Draco didn't even know why he ended up in the library. He had been meaning to go to the Room of Requirement to work on fixing the Vanishing Cabinet but couldn't get himself to go. After what happened with Katie...he didn't even want to think about his mission. He also didn't want to dwell on his panic attack and the fact that Harry had seen it. He didn't want to think about how that would affect everything so he tried to bury himself in his work. Which worked only until Harry himself decided to walk into the library. They locked eyes from across the room and Draco quickly looked down, expecting Harry to turn and leave.

"We need to talk." Of course it wouldn't be that easy.

Draco didn't look up from his book. "I've got nothing to say to you, Potter."

"Well, I've got plenty to say. So, unless you want the whole library to know—"

Draco slammed his book shut and got to his feet to get him to shut up before he said something stupid. "Fine. Let's go down to the lake then."

It would be too damn cold for anyone with sense to be hanging out by the lake so they would have a lot of privacy. Harry headed out first and after putting away his books, Draco trailed after him. He didn't need anyone to know that he was meeting with Potter. He had a reputation to uphold. Harry was pacing in front of a tree near the shore when Draco got down there. He didn't even know why he was here in the first place. Well, he didn't want him to blow the gasket about his meltdown but he's not usually one for talking it out. This whole thing was honestly ridiculous and he wanted to go back to the time where all their interactions were arguments.

Though, that wouldn't be completely true. He had liked the idea of getting past all their shit and being civil but it also scared the hell out of him. If he got his hopes up, he knows that it'll only hurt worse when Harry ultimately decides that he's not worth it. He didn't want to be scared or have his hopes up. He had enough on his plate as it is, not that it seemed to matter with his brain anyway. Harry was always on his mind and it didn't help that Harry was trying to be civil. This all was too much too fast and he didn't know what to do.

"Better make this quick, Potter," Draco said, as always letting his shields up.

Harry stopped pacing and turned to look at him. "What happened to you today?"

"I don't—"

"Don't give me some bullshit about not knowing because we both know that's not true. That's something going on with you and I'm..."

"What, suspicious? I don't care what you think I may or may not have done because it's probably bullshit anyway."

Harry was growing frustrated. "That's not what I was going to say! But now you got me thinking that maybe I should be!"

"Think what you want, Potter," he spat. "I'm done caring."

Harry paused, the anger leaving his face for just a moment. "Wait, you care what I think?"

Shit. "Of course not, don't be absurd," he rolled his eyes.

"But you just said—"

"Is there a point to this conversation?" Draco snapped.

Harry hesitated before saying, "I just want to know how you're doing. You've been off all year."

"Last time I checked, it's still none of your concern."

"If you have more of those attacks—"

"It's none of your concern," Draco hissed. "We're not mates or even close for that matter. I know you're playing the only role you know how to play but I don't need a savior or a protector, least of all one that's you."

"I'm not trying to be your protector! I just...I just..."

"The chosen one always was shit at forming cohesive sentences," he retorted, dryly.

"Can you stop being a prat for two seconds?" Harry seethed. "I'm just trying to say that I don't want to do this anymore. I'm bloody tired of putting in the effort to hate you when I actually sort of..." Draco wanted to slap himself to the rush of hope that came with the trailed off words. "Pity you." And then the ball dropped.

Draco snapped out of his rush of stupid, irrational hope that maybe he was about to admit that he actually liked Draco. A hot stream of embarrassment and nausea rippled through him that was quickly replaced with rage. How dare he pity him. He had no right to pity him nor—the stupid small voice inside of him reminded him—did he deserve it.

"I don't need your fucking pity," Draco growled. "And if you mention a word of what happened today, I will kick your ass."

Harry looked surprised at the threat. "Draco—"

But he was already walking away.