Chapter 38

Draco was not ready. Though, at least he had a few hours to spend alone with Harry before the Order arrived. They went around the house, spelling items in boxes and teleporting them to the Dursleys' new home. They did that until the entire house (save Harry's room) was empty. Then, with nothing else to do, they went up to lay on Harry's bed. They laid on their sides so they were facing one another.

"How are you doing with everything?" Harry asked, intertwining their fingers.

"Honestly, I don't think it's settled in yet," Draco replied. "I know I should feel relieved but..."

Harry nodded. "I get it. No matter how awful, family is still family."

"Something like that."

"That's not all, is it?"

Draco looked down at their hands. "I failed my mission and deserted their side. What if they take it out on my parents? Especially if he finds out that I'm with you."

"I don't know," Harry said, softly. "It's possible."

"Does it make me a coward if I don't rush to their aid?"

"Hey," Harry lifted up Draco's chin. "You're not a coward. The sole fact that you're here, with me, proves the opposite." Harry kissed him softly. "We'll get through this. Together."

****

Harry brushed the hair out of Draco's eye. He had fallen asleep and Harry was glad. Not only did Draco need the sleep, but now Harry could grab Draco's present. He had found out from Blaise that Draco's birthday was nearly a month ago and he had planned to surprise him with a picnic on their beach but that had been before everything had gone to hell. The least he could do now was to give Draco his present.

Harry carefully maneuvered out of bed and got to his feet. He went over to his trunk and started ruffling through it.

"What are you doing?"

Harry turned to see Draco sitting up in bed. "I have something for you."

Draco raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"

Harry grabbed the gift and walked over to the bed. "I had planned something more romantic but that was before everything happened. So, here." Harry handed him the gift. "Happy late birthday."

"You didn't have to."

"I know. Just open it."

Draco did. Inside were various items with notes. The first item was a silver tie with a note that said to bring out your eyes. The next item was cufflinks with his initials engrained into them and a note that said since you're so conceited :). The third item was a potion for a sleeping draught with a note that said to keep the nightmares away. The last item was a snitch with a note that said to remember what you love.