Chapter 19

Harry really should give Draco some space. Obviously, he's got some shit to sort through but he was getting frustrating. And since Draco wasn't going to give him a straight answer, that left only one person that he could talk to.

Harry stepped into a crowd, sidling up to Blaise as casually as he could. "I need to talk to you," Harry said under his breath.

A slight nod was his answer and Harry stepped out of the crowd and into an empty classroom. Thirty seconds later, Blaise walked in. He leaned against the door and crossed his arms.

"I know you're angry at Malfoy but snogging me will not make things better."

Harry blushed. "That's not why I asked you here. I want to ask you about Draco."

"Look, he's my best mate and I'm not going to betray his trust. Whatever he didn't tell you isn't mine to tell."

"I understand that. I just want to know how I can help him." Harry paused, feeling embarrassed. "I'm worried about him."

Blaise sighed. "He's got a lot on his plate. I know he's a stubborn jackass most times but, you've got to give him time. Let him come to you."

"And if he doesn't?"

He gave him a knowing smile. "He will."

****

Harry walked with Ron to class. He had gotten out of the Hospital Wing that morning and had accidentally broken up with Lavender. While he was unconscious, Ron had said Hermione's name and now Lavender won't see him anymore. Ron's relieved but as far as Harry knows, he hasn't talked to Hermione about becoming a couple. Harry figured that's why Ron looked like whatever he was thinking about was painful.

"So, Ginny thinks you've been acting strange lately," Ron said. "But I've been so absorbed with my own problems that I haven't noticed."

Harry really didn't like where this conversation was going. "You know Ginny and I aren't—"

"I know. I think everyone thought it would happen but now there are other things people are saying..." Ron trailed off.

"What are you trying to say?"

Ron ran his fingers through his hair. "Are you and Blaise dating?"

Harry's mouth fell open in shock but he quickly shut his jaw. "What? Where did you get that idea?"

"I saw you sneak into an empty classroom with him earlier and Hermione told me that he snuck you out of your dorm room last night."

"That's not—we're not—" Harry couldn't help the blush creeping onto his cheeks which wasn't helping his case. "Blaise and I have a mutual friend and something was wrong with them last night. That's why he got me. He needed my help."

"Help that took the entire night?" Ron accused.

Harry clenched his jaw. "I wouldn't lie to you, Ron. Blaise is nothing more than an acquaintance."

"And who is this mystery friend?"

"I can't tell you."

"Can't tell me because this is all a big lie," Ron snapped.

"Believe what you want but I'm telling the truth." Harry walked away from him.

Ron yelled after him. "Some mate you are! Keeping secrets!"

****

Draco watched as Harry stomped away from his friend. Weasel wasn't known for his quiet voice so he had heard everything. Which meant that Harry hadn't told his friends everything. He was surprised because he thought there were no secrets between the trio but it also made sense. Draco didn't have the best track record with the three and they would be pissed to find out that Harry and Draco had a thing.

The past tense of their relationship made Draco's heart hurt. This was ridiculous. There was nothing keeping Draco from apologizing to Harry and getting back together. If last night was any indication, Harry cared about him and Weaslette wasn't an issue. The only thing that was keeping them apart was Draco. And these weeks have shown how much he needed him.

****

Draco waited until after class and when they were putting away their ingredients, he slipped a note into Harry's robe pocket. He was then the first to leave the classroom and he went into one of the empty classrooms nearby. It didn't take long for Harry to follow. Harry looked like he was about to say something but Draco kissed him before he could.

He pushed him up against the wall, his hands gripping Harry's hips tightly. Harry responded immediately and cupped Draco's face, his fingers tangling in Draco's hair. Draco had missed that feeling.

"I'm sorry," Draco murmured against Harry's lips. "I just get defensive and it's hard for me to trust people."

Harry smiled, softly and kissed Draco's chin. "I know."

"Can we just go back to the way we were?"

"I ought to make this a lot harder for you," Harry mused. "It's not like you've made it easy for me."

"You could," Draco smirked. "But I know you won't. You're too soft."

Harry tried to hide the smile creeping onto his lips. "Hey, I held out this long, didn't I?"

"Barely."

Harry laughed. "You're a prat."

"I've been called worse."

Harry rolled his eyes and rested his forehead against Draco's. "I'm sure. But to keep this from ever happening again, can you promise to try and stop being so defensive? I wouldn't hurt you on purpose."

And staring into his beautiful emerald green eyes, Draco believed it.