Chapter 47

Turns out, the locket brought out the worst in people. Hence, the argument between Harry and Draco. They had been taking turns wearing the locket to lessen the effect. The only person that it didn't seem to affect as much was Draco. They figured it had something to do with the bracelet Dumbledore had given him, but they weren't sure. Draco offered to wear the locket most of the time but Harry didn't want that. It may not be affecting him now, but he was the closest to the darkness, and Harry didn't want to push him over the edge. It wasn't entirely fair to Draco. Harry trusted him, but he just didn't want to lose Draco to the darkness when he had just gotten free.

Ron was the one that got the angriest. He seemed to get the most upset when Harry and Hermione were alone. The locket brought out his insecurities about his relationship with Hermione but it didn't make sense to Harry. Harry was with Draco. He didn't seem why his friend got so upset over that.

Hermione was cutting Harry's hair and Harry wasn't sure what Ron saw, but either way, he lost his shit. He raged about them having secret conversations all the time and he didn't even feel the need to be here anymore.

"You two work so well together! I'm sure you two are just laughing at me behind my back!" Ron shouted.

Draco walked over and leaned against one of the beams where the three were arguing.

"Calm down, Weasley," Draco rolled his eyes. "The only person laughing at you behind your back is me."

"Draco," Harry shot him a look and Draco shrugged in a "well it's true" gesture. "Ron, there's nothing going on! It's the locket. Give it to me."

Ron took the locket off and threw it at Harry. "It's not the locket. I'm not daft. I know you two would be better off together. It's what everyone expects."

"Now I know you've lost it," Draco replied. "Harry and I are together—"

"For now," Ron snapped. "He'll see sense eventually. And I don't want to be around to see it happen."

Ron turned around and walked out of the tent, grabbing his ransack on the way. Hermione ran after him, yelling his name. Harry slipped the locket on.

"Should I be offended that Weasley thinks that you're going to end up with Granger?"

"He's just upset," Harry said. "He just needs to cool off and he'll be back."

"And Weasley's claims?" Draco said, softer now. "They're baseless, right?"

Harry gave him "are you serious" face. "Of course they are. She's always been just a friend."

"Just checking," Draco said. "You have no shortage of admirers and Weasley seemed pretty certain about it."

"Yes, well, he never thought he was good enough for Hermione."

"That's obvious enough. Granger is too good for him."