Chapter 59

They take their time walking back to the castle. A heavy fog of grief had fallen over them that was just catching up to them after the adrenaline had worn off. Harry had mixed feelings about Snape's death and hoped the memories he was holding would give him some answers. They froze when Voldemort's voice echoed in their ears: Gather your dead and let this be the end. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. You can end this, Harry Potter. Meet me in the forest and no one else has to die. You have two hours.

Draco looked over at Harry. "You're not thinking—"

"We've got to look at Snape's memories," was all he said.

It was quiet as they wandered into the castle and saw that everyone had gathered into the Great Hall. Harry's heart tightened at the sight of all the wounded and dead. People nodded to him as he passed and Harry froze at the sight of all the Weasleys crowded around someone. Ron ran over and George pulled him into a hug, sobbing into his shoulder. That's when Harry saw it was Fred lying on the gurney. Hermione stepped up to be with Ron but Harry couldn't. He turned and that's when he saw Lupin and Tonks lying side by side, their hands reaching for each other even after death.

"Harry..." Draco's voice was soft as he reached out and grabbed his hand.

Harry blinked back tears and started walking toward the doors. "Snape's memories could be important in finishing this for good."

Draco nodded and followed him out of the Great Hall. Harry was in shock and didn't want to stop to grieve. He was afraid if he did, that he wouldn't be able to keep fighting. He was so close to ending this for good. He had to make sure all the deaths weren't in vain. So, he continued to move.

They walked to the headmaster's office and up the stairs. Harry walked over to a cabinet and it opened to reveal a Pensieve. Harry poured Snape's tears in before putting his face in the water.

****

Draco figured that whatever Snape shared was meant for Harry alone. He settled on the steps and waited for Harry to come out. After a few minutes, Harry pulled his face back. He walked over and sat next to Draco. Draco could practically hear the wheels turning in his head.

"Snape knew my mother. He grew up with her and cared about her," Harry said.

"That's not all, is it?" Draco asked after Harry had been silent for a minute.

"Snape was a double agent," Harry replied. "He joined sides with Dumbledore in an attempt to save my mother but it didn't work because my parents were betrayed by Wormtail. But after all this time, Snape has been looking out for me. The only reason he killed Dumbledore was because Dumbledore had been poisoned and Dumbledore didn't want the burden of killing someone to be on your conscience. And Dumbledore knew it would be the only way to get Voldemort to trust Snape completely."

Draco didn't know what to say. That was a lot to process. After all the shit the professor had given him their sixth year...it was hard to believe that he had been looking out for them.

"Harry—"

"It's a lot to process," Harry interrupted. "Could you give me a minute? I'll meet you down in the Great Hall soon."

"Of course," Draco stood up. "If that's what you want."

Harry stood up and pulled Draco in for a kiss. "Thank you. I appreciate everything you've done for me."

Draco didn't like how that sounded a lot like goodbye. "Harry—"

"I'll see you soon," Harry said, smiling softly.

Harry's emerald eyes were shimmering with tears and Draco reached up to wipe one away.

"Promise me you won't do anything stupid."

"I promise," Harry kissed him again. "I love you."

"I love you too."

****

Harry hated lying to Draco but it was the only way. He knew that if Draco knew what he was about to do that Draco would stop him. That's why, no one could know that he was going to turn himself in. There was only one person that he had to talk to so that his sacrifice wouldn't be in vain. Using his invisibility cloak (that he stored in a hidden alcove before he had made his entrance in the Great Hall earlier), he snuck downstairs until he found Neville.

"Neville," Harry said, slipping the cloak off.

Neville jumped and turned. "Blimey, Harry, you nearly gave me heart failure!" Then he looked him over suspiciously. "Where are you going, alone?"

"It's all part of the plan," Harry replied. "There's something I've got to do. Listen—Neville—"

"Harry!" Neville looked suddenly scared. "You're not thinking of handing yourself over?"

"No," Harry lied easily. "'Course not...this is something else. But I might be out of sight for a while. You know Voldemort's snake? He's got a huge snake...Calls it Nagini..."

"I've heard, yeah...What about it?"

"It's got to be killed. Ron and Hermione know that, but just in case they—" Harry hesitated then continued. "Just in case they're busy—and you get the chance—"

"Kill the snake?"

"Kill the snake" Harry repeated.

"All right. You're okay, right?"

"I'm fine. Thanks, Neville."

But Neville seized his wrist as Harry made to move on.

"We're all going to keep fighting, Harry. You know that?"

"Yeah, I—" Harry choked on his words.

Neville just nodded and patted Harry on the back before going to look for more bodies. Harry put the cloak back on and wandered down to the forest. Once he was on the outskirts, he took off his cloak and dropped his wand down next to it. Then he pulled the snitch out of his pocket and held it up to his lips.

"I'm ready to die."