Chapter 17

Harry walked into his dorm room after a late night of studying. Lately, he's been trying to keep himself busy. The busier he was, the less he had time to think about Draco. Which was nearly impossible but he tried anyway. So, he was annoyed when he saw Ron sitting on his bed because he just wanted to go to bed.

"What are you doing?" Harry asked and then noticed an open box of chocolates on his bed.

"They were addressed to you but I really wanted chocolates," Ron said, hugging the box to his chest. "Isn't the moon beautiful?"

Harry looked out the window and then at his friend. "Riveting. Can I see that box?"

He took it and Ron grabbed a pillow to hug instead.

"I'm in love with Romilda," Ron said, grinning out the window.

Harry pulled out a note from the boxes and sure enough, it was signed by Romilda Vane. "That's great but have you actually had a conversation with her?"

"No," Ron looked over at him and grinned. "Can you introduce us?"

"Yeah, okay. Let's go meet her." Harry grabbed his friend's arm and dragged him to the door.

****

Harry knocked on Slughorn's door and when he saw that it was Harry, he started shutting the door.

"Please, sir," Harry said, holding the door. "He's been affected by a love potion."

Professor Slughorn looked over at Ron who was gazing dreamily around the corridor.

He sighed and waved them in. Slughorn went over to his briefcase of potions and started ruffling through them.

"Look, sir, I want to apologize for what I did," Harry said, leading Ron over to the couch.

"It's all right. All water under the bridge."

He walked back over to Slughorn. "I just need all the information on Voldemort—"

"Don't say his name," Slughorn snapped and handed Harry the potion. "This should be sufficient."

Harry gave Ron the potion, telling him it was a tonic. Ron drank it and realization seemed to dawn on his face.

"What happened?" He asked.

"A bloody strong love potion," Slughorn said. "You need a pick-me-up, my boy,"

Slughorn handed Ron and Harry a glass of wine. They cheered and Harry was about to take a drink when Ron collapsed, convulsing on the ground. Harry fell to his knees beside his friend.

"He's been poisoned," Harry said, panic evident in his voice. "You've got to do something!"

Slughorn stuttered, looking at Ron with panic in his eyes. It was obvious that he would be of no help. Harry ran over to Slughorn's briefcase and started ruffling through it. He found a bezoar and grabbed it. He ran to his friend and shoved it down his throat, praying that it would work. Ron gasped and sat up.

"What the bloody hell is happening?" He asked before passing out.

"That was...was quick thinking, my boy," Professor Slughorn said.

"Can you help me get him to the Hospital Wing?" Harry asked, trying to keep the anger from his voice.

He nodded and together they carried Ron to the Hospital Wing.

****

When Draco heard what happened to Weasley the next morning, he went to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. He never liked Weasel but he was Harry's best mate and thinking about how devasted Harry would be if anything happened to him was enough to send Draco into another panic attack.

Not for the first time, Draco wondered what it would be like if he refused to kill Dumbledore. This emotional trauma was getting to the point that it was paralyzing him. He couldn't sleep or eat and all he ever did was panic about what to do next and how to keep others out of it. The pain was getting to the point where he felt numb to it. He was cracking and there wasn't anyone around to hold him together. He felt so alone and tired and just wanted a way to get this pain to go away. To make it all go away.

****

"I'm worried about Draco."

Harry paused on his way back to his dorm from the Hospital Wing to hear a familiar voice.

"I cannot force my help on the boy. He made his choice."

Harry peeked around the corner to see Blaise talking with Professor Snape.

"You don't understand. Draco doesn't eat or sleep and the guilt is eating away at him." Blaise said. "I don't know how much more of this he can take."

"I can't take responsibility for his mission," Snape said. "I have already tried but you know as well as I that this is a punishment for his father's actions."

"I get that," Blaise snapped. "But there has to be more we can do. At the rate he's going, he's going to kill himself."

Harry sucked in a breath but it was loud enough for the other two in the corridor to hear.

"We've got company," Snape murmured. "We'll talk more later."

Harry slipped into an empty classroom to allow the two to leave without seeing him. His heart was hammering in his chest. What the hell was going on with Draco? When Blaise said he's going to kill himself, he didn't mean literally, right? Harry's heart ached at the thought of losing Draco and thought about how he could help him. Maybe all of this was why Draco was pushing him away. Maybe if he gets to the bottom of this then he could find a way to help Draco. Whether they get back together or not, doesn't matter. Harry's first concern was for Draco's well-being.