Chapter 64: Epilogue

Milestones Throughout the Years

Four Years Later: 2002

Harry was trying to act normal. He was planning on proposing tonight and he wanted everything to be perfect. They were driving to the coast where they were going to have a picnic under the stars.

"So, what's the occasion?" Draco asked, helping Harry lay down the blanket.

"Why does there have to be an occasion? Can't I just take my boyfriend out for a romantic date?"

"Which you haven't done since we adopted Teddy last year."

"Which is why we're doing this now," Harry countered, setting the picnic basket down.

They ate while talking about work. Harry was an Auror and Draco was the new Potions' professor. After the war, Slughorn didn't want to keep working and McGonagall had offered the job to Draco, given his skill in Potions. Draco took the job, thinking it was just going to be a temporary thing but found that he loved it. Harry didn't know what life would look like without chasing some dark wizard, hence why he chose to be an Auror. It's hard for them sometimes, since Draco is only home during the weekends and during breaks like this one. They didn't get as much time together as they wanted. That's why Harry wanted this to go perfectly. He loved Draco and he wanted to make him happy. With Teddy around, they were like a family but they weren't married yet. They had talked about it but at the time they thought they were too young. Maybe they're still too young, but Harry wasn't sure what they were waiting for. They were living together, been dating for five years, and have adopted a son. They had everything, except matching rings.

They were laying on their backs, staring up at the stars, like they had done so many times when they were first dating. Harry always felt safest in Draco's arms, but he couldn't relax. He had the urge to make sure the ring was still in his jacket pocket but didn't want to bring attention to himself.

"What's wrong?" Draco asked, softly. He could always tell when Harry was tense.

Harry took a deep breath and sat up. "There's something I want to ask you."

Draco got up on his elbows. "What is it?"

Harry got to his feet and helped Draco up. Keeping ahold of his hands, Harry recited the speech that he had been working on for nearly a month. "These last five years with you have been amazing. For the first few years, I didn't think things would turn out so great. It was tense and I was afraid that we'd grow apart. But, thank Merlin, we didn't. We got through it and now we have Teddy. You two are the family that I never thought I'd have. Everything is nearly perfect. We're only missing one thing." Harry got down on one knee. "Will you marry me?"

Draco's eyes widened as Harry pulled out the ring and held it out to him. "No! This isn't the way it was supposed to go!"

Harry blinked at him. "What?"

Draco got down on his knees in front of Harry. "I had everything planned out for this weekend! I was going to make your favorite meal and we were going to go to our spot overlooking London, where you asked if I wanted to adopt Teddy. Then I was going to say something to make you mad and you'll storm off, find the ring in your pocket and then come back to see me on one knee."