Chapter 22

Draco's heart was aching and he was on the urge of tears. He was about to do something that he had been dreaded. But, he couldn't postpone it any longer. He had to break up with Harry.

"There's something you should know."

Draco and Harry were lying on the roof of the astronomy tower, having got there by broom. Harry turned on his side to look at Draco but Draco didn't move.

"What is it?" Harry asked.

Draco tugged on Harry's arm. "Just lie down and I'll tell you."

Harry complied.

"As you know, I've been having nightmares," Draco focused on the stars. "The reason is that my family is in trouble. They've been put out of favor so they're on thin ice. I worry every day that I'll get an owl saying they've been killed." Draco took a deep breath. "There's something I can do to help them but to do this...it would change me. Change everything." A tear fell from his eye. "I don't know if I can do it. I don't want to be a coward but what am I if I go through with it?"

"Draco," Harry said, softly and intertwined their fingers.

Draco continued. "I'm not ready to tell you everything but that's why this year has been so hard for me. Without you, I don't know where I'd be." Draco turned on his side to look at Harry properly. "And I don't want to lose you or this."

Harry rested his hand against Draco's cheek. "Who said you have to?"

"Someone too powerful to ignore."

"What?"

Draco rested his hand on Harry's hip. "I don't want to end this but I've been racking my brain and I can't think of anything that would allow us to continue."

Harry looked upset and confused. "You're not going to tell me who?"

"It wouldn't make a difference."

"But you're saying that if you had a plan then you wouldn't end this?"

"Yes, but—"

"How long do you have?"

"Until tomorrow but Harry—"

"I'll think of something, just give me the time." Harry pulled Draco in for a kiss. "Will you trust me?"

Draco huffed out a laugh and shook his head. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but yeah."

****

Harry walked into Dumbledore's office, hoping he wasn't making a huge mistake. Dumbledore was sitting at his desk and he gestured for him to sit across from him.

"How are things going with Horace? Have you made any progress obtaining the memory?"

Shit. "Not yet. I actually came to talk to you about something else."

Dumbledore nodded for him to continue.

Harry took a deep breath. "This is going to sound mad but I've been doing some research and I think I can help Malfoy."

"Help with what exactly?"

"Malfoy experiences Night Terrors. I know this because during one of our lessons he dozed off and started screaming in his sleep. I was able to wake him up and he told me that this was the reason why he barely slept. I didn't think they were anything too serious but I did some research and I learned how deadly they could be. Most cases aren't that bad but the way Malfoy described his, they're are severe."

"And what does this have to do with you?"

"I don't know why or how, but I'm the only thing that keeps them away. Apparently, in most cases, certain people can keep Night Terrors away from others. There isn't a lot on why this is but for some reason, I'm that person for Malfoy."

Harry really hoped that Dumbledore wouldn't read in between the lines. He was trying to play it off like he doesn't want to help Draco because he cares about him but instead is doing it because he's a good person. The hero that everything thinks or expects him to be.

"Malfoy's a bully and a prat but this could kill him. His ghost would haunt me for the rest of my life if he died when I could have saved him." Harry added, hoping to make his case.

"What is your solution? To share a bed with Mr. Malfoy?"

Harry nearly choked and tried to hide the blush rising to his cheeks. "No, no. I was thinking we could be dormmates. Share a Head dorm until the end of the year. So, if he has a Night Terror, I can be nearby."

Dumbledore mulled it over. Harry twiddled with his fingers on his lap, trying to feign nonchalance. It was really hard to read Dumbledore's face. Finally, he spoke.

"I will consult with Madam Pomfrey and get back to you."

Harry nodded, hope billowing in his chest. "Okay, sir."

"It is a very kind thing you thought of. Is Mr. Malfoy aware of your plans?"

"Not yet. I wanted to get it confirmed by you before I told him."

"If I'm not mistaken, you two have always been rivals. Why do you think he'll agree?"

For a lot of reasons. "He may be stubborn, sir, but he needs me. Whether or not he'll admit it."