Chapter twenty-eight: The couch

Chapter twenty-eight: The couch (Alex's POV)

She handed me the fries before standing up and cleaning up the living room where we were watching movies while eating our dinner which was McDonald's. "Aren't you gonna go home?" she asked while sipping on her coke, finishing it before tossing the cup in the trash. 

"Should I?" I asked while helping her clear up the food packaging after turning the TV off. 

"Don't you have to?" she chuckled while washing her hands. 

"Not really," I shook my head while walking over to her. "My parents are out for dinner," I replied. 

"Do you wanna stay?" She turned around to face me. 

"Can I?" I lifted an eyebrow at her. 

"I don't know, can you?" She arched one back. 

"I think I can," I stepped closer to her, resting my hands on the counter beside each of her sides. 

"Sure, feel free to take the couch," she shrugged before beginning to walk away, only for me to pull her back. 

"The couch?" I deadpanned. 

"The couch," she nodded. 

"Sure?" I questioned. 

"We'll see," she shrugged. "You know where the guest bathroom is." She pushed me away before heading upstairs to her bathroom. She came downstairs to grab water to see me scrolling through my phone on the couch. "What're you doing?" she asked with a sigh while sitting beside me. 

"Scrolling through Instagram," I replied. 

"Who's?" She leaned toward me. 

"Yours," I answered. 

"Why?" she chuckled when she saw me scrolling and liking all her pictures. 

"Because look at you," I kept scrolling, not even turning to glance at her. 

She shook her head while smiling to herself before the doorbell rang. Catherine, our town florist's daughter stood there. "These are for you," she quickly handed them to her before running off. It was a bouquet of hibiscus flowers and red roses. She stood there, dumbfounded, staring at the flowers in confusion. 

"Hibiscus flowers symbolize delicate beauty." I came up behind her. 

"Really?" she asked. She didn't know that. "What do you roses represent?" She questioned. 

They represent love. And I'm not in it yet. I don't love anyone. I can't. I'm not capable of it. "I-I'm not sure," I stuttered. "I just thought they're romantic," I chuckled awkwardly. 

"Let's look it up," she shrugged suggestively. 

"No," I shook my head, "Let's not ruin the mystery," I played it off. 

"Alex, you can tell me what it means or I can look it up myself," she put my foot down. 

"I don't want you to overthink it," I huffed. 

"I won't." She reassured me. 

"It symbolizes love. But that doesn't mean I'm in love with you," I spat out quickly. 

She cleared her throat and looked at me. "Just because roses symbolize love and you gave them to me, that doesn't mean you're in love with me. I know that I'm not gonna make assumptions like that. Plus, it's too soon," she said. 

"I don't think you get it Faith. I've never been in love with someone. I don't think I ever can." I mumbled the last bit but she heard it loud and clear. I took a deep breath.