3 - Tuesday, October 15th

Tuesday, October 15th

Seokjin was done with the release formalities. As anticipated, the HR turned cold towards him – not that he was very nice to him before. He was also denied being paid for the last month and was asked to collect his experience certificate later. He packed his remaining stuff from his desk and dropped them off at his home before he made his way to the café.

Hoseok reminded him to maintain a safe distance from the manager. As if, Seokjin needed to be reminded of that.

When he trudged his way to the café, he was surprised to find a lot of construction around it. The café itself looked like it was being torn down. Great, the only obvious job at hand was gone.

Nevertheless, Seokjin walked to the entrance – or what used to be the entrance and looked for the creepy boss.

It didn't take much time because an over-enthusiastic man came hopping along.

"Seokjin!", he exclaimed, putting his uneven teeth on display. "Hoseok told me you'd come by for the job. You can start on Thursday – the café will reopen then."

Renovation, not destruction, Seokjin thought.

"I didn't know you could afford one.", he said looking around. It might have come off as rude but Seokjin did not care. The café was a lonely one at the end of the street, with neon lights, and rusted tables. The only ones who'd wish to come here were broke college students, runaway teenagers, and sometimes old vagrants.

If the boss was offended, he didn't show. But he grabbed Seokjin by his wrist and pulled him inside to show him the changes.

"They are installing a new oven. Can you believe that?", he said grinning from eye-to-eye.

Seokjin wriggled from his release. "They?"

As if on cue, a car honk made the boss run out and Seokjin followed. He bent over as he spoke to the person riding shotgun. The car's glasses were tinted so Seokjin couldn't see if anyone else was in the car.

After a short conversation, a well-dressed man with glasses stepped out to continue their talk. Even the slightest movement of his mouth caused prominent dimples settle in his cheeks.

"– we need to hire more workers. We were clear the last time about it, weren't we? Just two won't do.", he heard the dimple-cheeked guy say.

The manager nodded, looking sycophantic and then pointed at Seokjin like he was a show specimen, "I already found a new one. I'll put out flyers for another one, sir."

The sir spared a glance at Seokjin but that was enough to make him conscious. He was dressed in torn jeans (not a style statement; they were really torn from one cleaning incident with Hobi) and a plain black tee. At least the tee did not have holes – or so he hoped.

The guy then walked in as he took quick notes on his phone. Seokjin took this opportunity to talk to the boss, "Mr. Song, if it is okay can I get a partial advance of next week's wage? I need – "

The boss scowled, "You did not even start yet. I don't think – "

"Did you not brief him about the wage structure?", the dimpled guy was back. He loosened his tie and unbuttoned the first one. "Get him to sign the contract."

His boss nodded and rushed in to get the said contract.

"What changed?", asked Seokjin.

"The pay here wasn't enough – not even the minimum wage. And, there were no health benefits. Can you believe that? The girl who worked here before was surprised to know that she was being paid way less than her male counterparts. I mean, even in a small café like this inequality is prevalent.", the guy spoke and then he paused. "Sorry. I am Kim Namjoon."

"Kim Seokjin. And, who are you?"

Namjoon was confused for a moment before he understood the question, "Ah. My boss bought this place. Honestly, I was against it, but he was adamant. Now I run from one end of the city to another just to discuss wage corrections."

Seokjin studied him as he spoke. He wondered why that boss of his was interested in a rat hole like this.

"I have too much going on so it might seem like I am complaining. Anyway, you can have your advance for the next week.", he smiled making his dimples dig deeper into his cheeks.

Seokjin was surprised, "That is very nice of you. Thank you."

Namjoon only nodded before he called out to Mr. Song. "Boss will be here day after tomorrow for the opening. Make sure everything is in place."

Mr. Song looked apprehensive but bobbed his head.

"Also, pay this gentleman his advance.", he said before he slipped back into the car and drove away.

...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT IS MIN YOONGI POONGI BABY BISHISHA'S BIRTHDAY. The way I'd give away everything for him. I - 

What is your favorite solo of his?  I was on my knees when I first listened to Agust D. 

❤