Prologue

(The story begins at Mario’s house. We see Mario leaving through the front door as Luigi stands in the doorway sipping coffee and waving him goodbye.)

Luigi: See ya later, bro! (He waves and goes inside, shutting the door behind him.)

(Mario then jumps down a pipe which leads to Princess Peach’s castle. We see the castle which is guarded by toads with spears. Mario jumps out of the pipe and heads toward the bridge. Mario then bumps into Captain Toad.)

Mario: Oof! Sorry, Toad. Didn’t-a see you there.

Toad: That’s alright Mario. I’m going to collect treasure today! Now where did I put that map. (He digs around in his bag.)

Mario: Hey, you haven’t seen Princess Peach around here have you?

Toadsworth: Master Mario!

(Toadsworth comes out of the castle doors.)

Mario: Oh! I gotta go. See ya, Toad!

Toad: (Still digging in the bag.) Come on. It’s gotta be around here somewhere.

(We cut to the castle interior which houses more guard toads. Peach is at the top of a staircase which is in the middle of the room. She looks distant and worried. Mario and Toadsworth go up the stairs toward her.)

Mario: Princess? What’s the matter?

Peach: Toadsworth, will you excuse us please.

Toadsworth: Yes, Princess. (Toadsworth heads back down the stairs.)

Peach: Mario, follow me.

(Mario and Peach go into a small room with a bed, a window, and a fireplace. Peach pulls a lever next to the fireplace and reveals a small elevator. Mario and Peach both go inside and descend. They stop in a small dark room with a pedestal in the center. On top of the pedestal is a dark crystal. It’s glowing strongly.)

Mario: (Slightly worried) Princess, what is this? What have you brought me to see?

Peach: This is the Shadow Crystal. Long ago our world was attacked by a strange man who called himself Master Mind. (A flashback begins showing a younger Toadsworth comforting baby Peach in a rocking chair. Explosions are heard in the background.) He wanted nothing more but to wipe everyone out of existence. (Another flashback shows James McCloud and the rest of the old Star Fox shooting at strange winged shadow creatures.) He nearly achieved his goal but we found a way to entrap him in this crystal. (A third flashback shows what appears to be a black tornado swirling into the crystal.) We won, but now. (We go back to present day as we focus on the crystal.) It’s acting up and I’m afraid that he might be unleashed.

Mario: Mama mia. So I’m-a here to-

Peach: To help me try to put a stop to this once and for all. Imagine what could happen if this ends up in the wrong hands! Imagine what travesty it would- (Peach suddenly stops. Tears dripping from her eyes.)

Mario: It’s-a going to be okay, Princess. We can handle this together. (A loud explosion suddenly sounds. Voices upstairs indicate that Bowser is attacking.)

Peach: It’s Bowser. If he finds this then...then…

Mario: Don’t-a worry, Princess. (He grabs the crystal) I can take-a this. I just need a distraction.

(We cut back to the castle foyer. Koopas have taken out the armed toads and everyone else is surrounded by hammer bros. Peach walks out of the door at the top of the staircase. We see Bowser flanked by Kamek at the main entrance.)

Bowser: Princess Peach. How happy to see you again.

Peach: What do you want, Bowser. To kidnap me.

Bowser: Don’t flatter yourself, princess. I’ve come for something better. You see, I’ve been getting these strange messages when I dream. Messages that tell me of a treasure in this very castle. Something called the Shadow Crystal.

Peach: I’m sorry, but your crystal is in another castle. We have nothing like that here.

Bowser: In that case. (Bowser snaps his fingers and a hammer bro pushes Toadsworth towards Bowser. Peach runs at Bowser but is quickly stopped by two hammer bros.) If you won’t talk then Toadsworth here is as good as toast. (A few flickers of flame appear out of Bowser’s mouth.) You have till the count of three to tell me where you’re hiding that thing.

Toadsworth: Don’t do it, princess!

Bowser: One. (Peach looks around not knowing what to do.) Two. (Toadsworth begins to sweat and his eyes close.) Three! (Before he can breathe fire a koopa troopa runs through the front doors.)

Koopa: Boss!

Bowser: What?!

Koopa: I have intel that Mario is running across the castle grounds with that thing you wanted.

Bowser: Perfect! (Bowser throws Toadsworth across the floor.) Time to visit ol’ plumber boy for what I hope is the last time.

Peach: No! You can’t do this, Bowser! You have no idea what that crystal can do! Think of the consequences! Think of your people!

Bowser: (Turning his head towards Peach as he walks away.) All I know is that once I get that crystal, I’ll have enough power to become a god.

(We cut to Mario running in a field, the crystal wrapped tightly in his arms. Suddenly the sound of propellers fills the air as Bowser flies in on a small airship. Mario stops dead in his tracks.)

Mario: Bowser!

Bowser: Surprised to see me Mario! Now I believe that you have something that I want, and if I have to kill you to get it, then so be it.

Mario: Bring it on, Bowser! I’ve beat you in every battle that we’ve had! What makes this time so different!

Bowser: (Jumps down from airship.) Time for your game to end! (Bowser lunges at Mario but Mario swiftly dodges. Bowser points at Mario) Fire! (Three bullet bills fire at Mario from the airship. Mario jumps on two of them but the third one hits him in the back and he drops the crystal.) Like taking mushrooms from a baby. (Bowser runs to get the crystal but Mario gets up and pulls out a hammer.)

Mario: Not today, Bowser! (Mario hits Bowser from the back and he lands on his back on top of the crystal, shattering it.) No!

Bowser: No! My power! (Suddenly a black tornado comes out of the shattered pieces of the crystal, with Mario and Bowser being in the center. As suddenly as it began however, it stops. In front of Mario and Bowser is Master Mind: a being made out of shadow. He is vaguely human shaped with long fingers, no features of any kind, and big white eyes.)

Master Mind: Finally. I have been freed at last.

Bowser: So you’re the one who’s been talking to me. Let’s cut right to the chase, I want my power so I can rule the world. So what do I have to do, kill plumber boy or somethin’?

Master Mind: You will get your power soon enough, but for now I have to finish what I’ve started. (Suddenly Mario runs up with a hammer in his hands and jumps to hit Master Mind over the head with it. Master Mind merely extends his hand, lightning coming out and striking Mario in the chest which sends him sprawling onto the ground.) So this is what you people send to defeat me! A man with nothing but a hammer! You are all weak and you cannot stop what I will do! Not anymore! Not anymore! (A wave of darkness shoots out of Master Mind’s hands and the sky turns black and purple. A faint rumble can be heard.)

(We cut to see Sonic the Hedgehog running through a field. The sky turns black as he turns around and looks up at it. We then see Crash Bandicoot sleeping in a hammock between two trees. Unbeknownst to him, the sky is turning black above him. Lastly, we see Pac-Man sitting by a tree munching on an apple. He looks up at the blackened sky dropping his apple. We cut back to Mario unconscious on the ground, his hair waving in the breeze. Everything goes white.)

End of Prologue