1.

Autumn is my favorite season. I like it when it is fresh outside, the wind blows and the colorful leaves sweep off the trees. Autumn prepares the trees and bushes so that they get their juicy green leaves again next year. Blossoms will grow on the fruit trees and provide us with fresh fruit.

Of course, I could mention spring and summer for that now. But for me it will always be autumn. I also like the idea of sitting in front of the fireplace in rainy weather, when it is cold and stormy outside, reading or watching a film. Yes Ok, I unfortunately don't have a fireplace, but I can still dream.

In any case, it is the season when you make your home cozy and warm and you get closer to each other. At least that's how it was in my childhood. As soon as autumn came and it got cooler, my parents rearranged the living room and everything seemed more cosy and warmer. We sat together under blankets and cuddled. We talked, read books or watched a movie together on the TV.

The Xiao family was always close and spent a lot of time together as a family. Back before my sister went to America to marry a man she hardly knew. And before I moved from our small suburb to the big city to study.

My parents sold their house and moved to the country to live with relatives. Together they ran a bed and breakfast and offered their guests a total countryside life. They have a fireplace. I, however, only have a small two-room apartment in a high-rise building that needs urgent renovation and refurbishment. The only thing that is right is the rent.

But for the low rent, you had to put up with things. For example, that the electricity went off more often. The telephone network broke down again and again. The heaters often did not work, the garbage in front of the house was only picked up every few weeks, which made it smell terrible, especially in the summer. And then there were those dubious tenants with whom one would rather not mess around. At least not if you wanted to breathe the next day.

My girlfriend Yue wouldn't believe me when I told her how I am living. She always thought I was hiding something from her. Then one day, after a big fight, I took her over to my place. You could see her shock even days later. She said, "Xiao Zhan, you better find a place in a decent neighborhood so I can come visit you more often."

Of course I explained to her that, as a simple employee in a museum, I cannot afford anything else at the moment. But she didn't care. Sometimes I really wonder why I didn't break up with her long ago. We have been together for two years, I love her, but somehow it often seems to me as if she is not the right person for me.

But at the same time, I think of the time she and I spent together. I met her right after my studies and fell in love with her when I saw her in her yellow summer dress. Her long black hair was swayed back and forth by the wind, her dark brown eyes shone in the sunlight and her smile was so bright and clear that it touched me immediately.

We quickly got into a conversation and a short time later we had become a couple. Two years have passed since then. But as the time flies by, so do my feelings for her seem to fly away. Somewhere from which there is no returning.

In order to be able to afford an apartment in a better neighborhood one day, I looked for a part-time job. I hand out flyers and newspapers in the night. During the day I work in a museum and from next week on I will also work part-time in a stationery shop. But even with these three jobs, it will be hard to find a better apartment.

Maybe I shouldn't have studied art and become a lawyer or doctor like my parents wanted me to. But I was never interested in that. I've always loved art and wanted to work with it. But where did it bring me? I barely make enough money every month and am forced to live in a house that smells of urine and shit everywhere.

I used to imagine that by the age of twenty-four I would be famous, as an artist, as a painter. But that was a dream that many people have and had, and very few can fulfil it. And I, well I am definitely not one of the lucky ones.

Yesterday when I brought Yue home, her home that she shares with her three model friends, a huge apartment in a prestigious area, I saw a notice board. A flat share is looking for a roommate. My girlfriend cheered and told me to go there and introduce myself. So I did. But as soon as one of the tenants of this flat opened the door, he just looked at me, shook his head and immediately closed the door again.

And just as I was about to leave, another tenant of this flat came out of the elevator. He looked at me from the top to the bottom and wanted to know from me what I was doing there. I told him that I had seen the notice board and wanted to introduce myself. But this arrogant prick just laughed and said I had no chance. "You can't pay the rent with good looks. And I bet the rent for the free room is more than the rent you have to pay for your present lodging." He said, Wang Yibo, that arrogant bastard.

Who does he think he is and what right does he have to talk to me like that? I told my girlfriend about this arrogant guy and she looked at me with wide open eyes. "What do you mean you talked to Wang Yibo? What's he like? Is he really as good-looking as in the magazines?" She wanted to know. All right, so I thought he was a hip model, too.

No wonder he thinks he's so much better. Of course, someone like me can't compete with that. To someone like him, women fall at his feet and I bet my girlfriend would forget who I am if he just wagged his little finger.

Admittedly, he looks really fantastic, but what good does this help me?

It's funny how people will overlook a shitty character just because he's handsome.

When I got home I sat down at my laptop and checked out who he is on the internet. A hip, very popular model. Besides his rich parents, he's supposed to be very intelligent. He is said to be polite, decent and respectful towards others. Yeah, don't make me laugh, I haven't noticed any of that. He also loves his motorcycle and has regularly changing girlfriends. Yes, I believe the last one immediately.

At some point I came to the question, why did I even search for him on the internet? What do I care about this asshole? Don't I have enough problems already? Do I have to be annoyed with some model now, too? No! So I closed the search site and sent an e-mail to my parents instead. I would have called them, but the phone system was down again.

 I would have called them, but the phone system was down again