Chapter 11

September 1945

Peggy is at the Stark residence when another wave of nausea hits her. She gets up from the couch and ran to the bathroom, and empties her stomach. 'Well there goes my lunch.' Peggy gets up and washes her face with cold water to try and make herself feel better.

Howard watches her from the door of the bathroom and slowly shakes his head. Peggy has been throwing up for the past couple of weeks and he thinks he knows why. Peggy can sense that someone is looking at her and she looks up to see Howard looking at her with remorse in her eyes.

"Pegs..."

"Don't. Just don't."

"I just think you should go to the doctors and have them check. Hell I'll check here with my tech, but I think we both know why you are feeling like this."

"Howard."

"Peggy you can't keep postponing this. I miss him! Trust me I do but you might be carrying a piece of him. Just take the test, and if I'm wrong then you can hit me. Deal?"

Howard holds out his hand to Peggy and she looks down at it then back up to his face. She looks for any sign of a joke on his face but doesn't see one. She really isn't sure if this is something she wants to know yet, Peggy wishes he was here to do this with her.

"Howard I don't know."

"Come on Pegs. You know that it is better to find out sooner than later."

Peggy sighs and takes Howard's hand and firmly shakes it. If he is wrong she will make sure he has a nice shiner on his face. Howard walks Peggy down to his lab and clears off his metal table. Peggy looks at him questionably and he scratches the back of his neck with a slight blush in his face.

"You're going to have to lay down for this to work." Howard slightly chuckles to himself embarrassed that he doesn't already have a metal bed down here. Peggy raises an eyebrow and looks at him with a wtf face. "I need to make sure the machine is directly over your uterus, so if you are sitting it won't really work."

Peggy looks away from Howard and moves towards the empty desk and lays down. Peggy is started to get nervous and is fidgeting with her hands and her legs won't stop moving. She really doesn't know how this is going to turn out. Howard sees how nervous she is and puts his hand on her shoulder. Peggy looks up and sees his comforting smile and takes a big breath.

"So what exactly do you have to do?"

"Well it's hard to explain. It's like an X-ray but not. This will let me look inside your uterus and see if there is something there or not."

"How many times have you used this?"

"Hahahahaha that's the thing you are like the first person to be tested with this..."

"STARK!"

"Nothings going to happen! I promise!"

"I swear Stark if I..."

"Peggy! I wouldn't do that to you ok. Just lay back down."

Peggy lays back down and Howard grabs the machine that has a probe like things attached to a handle. Howard lifts up Peggy's shirt to get right on the skin of her stomach and goes to work. Peggy notices the little screen that seems to be picking up on everything that is going on inside her. Howard continues to look around until he sees something unusual.

"Well would you look at that."

Peggy can't take her eyes away from the screen, right in the middle of all the grey is a little blob but you can sorta make out a face. Peggy is looking at her future child, Steve's child, their child. Peggy doesn't notice that she was crying until Howard hands her a tissue but she can see the tears in his eyes.