Chapter 23

"They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered." -F. Scott Fitzgerald

---------------> IT HAD BEEN TWO DAYS since Rose's out-of-the-blue confession

It had been two days since both Rose and Marvolo were desperately trying to pretend that that night never happened- that things could go back to the way it was.

But somewhere deep inside their hearts, they knew that they were only trying to fool themselves. Sadly, both of them were equally as stubborn as the other to admit it.

Rose had been giving Marvolo a nervous smile ridden with guilt every time he looked at her. And Marvolo had also been talking to her very formally ever since. In his reasoning, she was still his Horcrux. It was best to keep her happy.

The air between them was very awkward and Nagini had been playing a messenger role of sorts by trying to make both of them talk to each other again like they used to.

But Nagini couldn't help.

However brilliantly amazing she was, this was love. This was about heartbreak, acceptance and denial.

It was Draco Malfoy who actually helped Rose when he came to Slytherin Manor two days after the confession, having not visited sooner because he had been planning and participating in multiple raids...

To say he was shocked that his crazy yet loveable smiley cousin was sulking would be an understatement.

"Rose, what's wrong?" Draco asked.

His face was impeccable and stony as always, but Rose could easily see the worry in his eyes and felt touched.

"Nothing." She replied immediately.

"Has anybody told you that you are a horrible liar?" Draco teased.

Rose lifted an eyebrow before answering dryly. "I told you that you looked handsome when you were preparing for your date with Astoria Greengrass. You believed me quite fine then."

"Even the best of us make mistakes," Draco said with a smile before looking worried again. "Still, what's wrong, Rose? You are behaving very un-Rose like..."

"Un-Rose like, really?" Rose deadpanned.

Draco shrugged. "That's the best way to explain your usual... unique behaviour. Did something happen between you and the Dark Lord?"

"More like something didn't happen," Rose muttered lowly.

Unfortunately for her, Draco had extremely sharp ears.

"You confessed, didn't you?" Draco asked knowingly.

"He said I was being delusional," Rose said quietly as Draco came to hug the girl that was quickly becoming the sister he never had.