III. THE RETURN OF THE BEST FRIEND

__________

Quinn opened the door to the McCall residence and took of her jacket, flinging it on a chair.
    "Aunt Mel? I'm back!" She yelled up the stairs, until she realized the woman probably had a double-shift again. Rafael fortunately wasn't back yet either, so the house was completely empty. She took advantage of this and plopped down on the couch for a nap instead of walking up the stairs to the guest bedroom. God, Quinn hadn't had a good nap in days. Ever since she arrived back in Beacon Hills she had been trying to adjust. Melissa helped her pick out some clothes until her stuff from Mexico arrived and Scott had been catching her up to speed on what had been going on. It didn't exactly help her sleep.

Not thirty minutes later, she got woken up by Rafael coming home, and the smell of delicious food. And Quinn might have hated the guy, but she couldn't pass up free food.
    "Scott's probably not coming, Raf." Quinn said. Rafael was determined to wait for his son to have dinner, but Quinn knew he wasn't coming home today. Quinn focused her hearing as she heard two heartbeats approaching the door. And then it opened. And Quinn wanted to punch Stiles. Because next to him was Derek. Stiles had brought young Derek to the house he knew Quinn was. How stupid do you have to be?
    "You think that's Scott?" Rafael said and stepped out of the dining room, Quinn quickly followed.

That's how they ended up having dinner with Stiles and Derek. Or well, Miguel. Which was the name Stiles made up for Derek. Quinn really hoped Derek wouldn't recognize her.
    "Sir, what do you know about the Hale fire?" That was the question that derailed the entire evening. And now Derek was waiting upstairs in Scott's room, waiting to murder Stiles for lying to him about his family.
    "Go up and talk to him!" Stiles pressed as he and Quinn were in the hall.
    "I don't wanna talk to him, you go up!" Quinn countered. Eventually, Quinn got send up to talk to him.

Quinn carefully opened the door and immediately Derek tried to attack her but she was quicker and grabbed him by the collar and pushed him harshly up against the wall. She really did imagine this in different circumstances. Derek struggled until he noticed Quinn was way stronger than him.
    "Okay, you calm?" Derek nodded. "Good." Quinn hesitated for a moment as she dropped her arm and took a step back, "You know who I am?"
    Derek frowned, was he supposed to know? Then his eyes traveled to the woman's necklace. Now that he recognized. His expression turned sour, "Quinn? Quinn Hayes? What the hell? Why are you... old?"
    Quinn huffed, "Dude, I'm 26." She sat down on the bed, "It's kind of complicated. But you were... aged backwards. And then my cousin and his idiot friends found you. Sit down."

    "What do you know about the fire? What happened?" Was the first thing that came out of Derek's mouth.
    "God, I forgot how annoying you were." Quinn said under her breath, "Someone set fire to your house."
    "Yes, I got that, thanks." Derek rolled his eyes.
    "Most of your family didn't make it out, my parents also didn't make it." She but the inside of her cheek, "You, me and Laura were still at school."
    "Who did make it out?" He asked.
    "Peter and Cora," Quinn had trouble reading Derek's expression, "But Peter was in a coma for six years. But he's... better now?"

Stiles suddenly burst into the room and Derek flipped, pushing Stiles up against the wall. Quinn got a call from her cousin. Saved by the bell, talk about timing. Scott wanted to talk to Peter Hale, one of the people who could actually help with this whole ordeal. Scott wanted Quinn there because apparently she was the only one who could get along with Peter.

When Quinn finally did arrive at the building, she was a bit later than she promised but seeing as she didn't really have a car here she had a valid excuse. While Quinn was excited to see Peter again, she didn't show it. Sure, he murdered a few people, but he was in a coma for six whole years. Stuck in his own mind. And Quinn wasn't completely innocent herself, she couldn't blame him. She wasn't saying what he did was okay, but was he still killing people? No, he was not. Cut him some slack.