XI. QUARANTINED, PART 1

__________

"Quickly! Get her inside. I'll call Scott. Go!" Quinn said as Derek and her stepped out of the car outside the hospital.
    Derek nodded, quickly but carefully grabbing Braeden out of the back of the car, carrying her into the hospital.

Quinn took out her phone, dialing Scott.
    "Quinn? What's up?" Scott's voice came through the speaker.
    "We found Satomi's pack." She began, just as it started raining. "They're all dead, the ones we found at least. Derek and I are at the hospital right now."
    "What? Why are you at the hospital?" He asked.
    "We also found Braeden... she's been shot. And it's not looking too good." Quinn said quietly. She had begun to grow fond of the mercenary, against her own better judgement.
    "Oh, Jesus, Quinn. Are you okay?"
    Quinn swallowed and cleared her throat, "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. But I gotta go, aunt Mel probably has some questions. I'll, uh, see you in the morning." She said before hanging up and also walking into the hospital.

Melissa walked up to her. "What happened?" She asked, pulling Quinn to the side, away from prying eyes.
    "We found Satomi's pack, they're all dead... Braeden was there, she was bleeding pretty heavily so we brought her here." She explained the events from the evening quickly.
    Melissa nodded thoughtfully, "Okay... you should probably get some sleep, Quinn. You look exhausted and you have those PSAT's first thing tomorrow."
    "Yeah, I know. I'm just gonna check up with Braeden real quick before going home." Melissa nodded and walked away, leaving Quinn alone.

Quinn walked around the corner, seeing Derek sitting on one of the benches, staring at his blood covered hands. Silently she sat down next to him.
    "How is she?" She asked, staring at the wall in front of her, her voice small. She didn't feel the need to put up a strong front in front of Derek this time. She knew he was worried about Braeden, so was she.
    "She getting prepped for surgery. But they say she'll make it." Derek answered.
    Quinn let out a sigh of relief, letting her shoulders hang.

    "You should probably go home, get some sleep.." Derek says, making Quinn look at him. "I heard you talking to Melissa." He elaborated.
    "That's stalker-ish of you." She comments half-heartedly, making him roll his eyes. They chuckled softly. Sometimes their bickering helped. "I can stay, you know."
    Derek shook his head, "No, I got it here. I'll, uh, text you if anything changes."
    Quinn nodded before hesitantly putting her hand on Derek's shoulder, squeezing slightly and giving him a reassuring smile.Not didn't feel right to pick a fight with him, like she usually would. Especially since the last time they sat together like this in the hospital was years ago, when they tried treating Peter.
    Quinn pulled her hand back and walked away, feeling the lingering eyes of Derek following her.

▢▢▢

Saturday. The first day of the weekend and Quinn was at school. Why did she think it was a good idea to sign up for this? Already late, as usual, Quinn hurried into the school. She noticed the line of students waiting to get into the classroom. She walked up to her cousin and his friends.
    "Hey Scotty and co. How're you guys doing?" She asked.
    "Nervous." They all said in sync before going back to their fidgeting.
    "Okay, wow, I'm feeling mildly threatened." Quinn commented, taken aback. "It'll be fine, guys. They're not that hard. I passed with flying colors and I took them in sophomore year." She smirked as she readjusted her red bomber jacket.
    "Yes, that's because you're just really smart." Scott replied.
    "That may be true, but I'm no Lydia Martin. I gotta go, guys." She waved cheekily before walking into the classroom and towards the desk where the teacher was sitting.