IV. A BONE TO PICK

IV. A BONE TO PICK
__________

The group of four, consisting of Scott and Malia (who were in fact, teenagers) and Peter (who would let everybody die before him) and Quinn (who has no sense of self-preservation) arrived at the Beacon Hills High-school. They rushed up the stone stairs as Malia suddenly can to a stop, the rest following shortly after.

    "Did you catch a scent?" Scott asks.
    "It's the same one." Malia said and Quinn sniffed the air.
    "She's right. It's the same as in Mexico. Which means we should get the hell out of here." Quinn added urgently.

    "What is she talking about?" Peter asked confused, while Quinn silently cursed herself for not telling him about the bone-wearing monster they came across on the road.
    "One of them came after us in the Church ruins." Scott began.
    "And one on the road." Malia added, "They couldn't have followed us here."
    "But they could've been brought by Kate." Scott theorized.

Suddenly a loud growl came from the shadow and Peter and Quinn looked up, recognizing the sound.
    "Peter... the monster that attacked me was wearing animal bones." Quinn said to Peter who stood next to her while searching where the sound came from.
    "Oh, I've heard that sound before. And Quinn just confirmed it." The man groaned inwardly.

    "What are they?" Scott asked. Peter and Quinn looked behind the teenagers and saw a figure walking out of the shadows. It looked humanoid, and if you looked closer you could see patches of human skin. But it behaved animalistic. It had an animal skull over its head and most of its body was covered with bones as armor. Quinn knew that technically they used to be human, but everything that made them had been stripped away.
    "Berserkers."

Malia and Scott turned around, facing the creature. Quinn gulped nervously, she knew she couldn't take this thing on. "I think they have a bone to pick with us." She said slowly.
    The last time Quinn had encountered them was only a few weeks ago. She didn't know where they came from and only now did it click. Kate sent them. The bitch just couldn't leave well enough alone.

Malia growled and went to attack the berserker but was held back by Peter. "Are you crazy?" He asked and Quinn couldn't help but agree. Going up against one alone was just plain stupid. And even with the four of them, it was close to impossible.
    "There's just one of them." Malia said, getting ready to pounce.
    "And that means we have a chance." Peter resounded.
    "To beat him?"
    "To survive." Peter said and continued to sprint away. Quinn scoffed but didn't hesitate to drag Scott and Malia away, running as fast as they could with a berserker on their trail. But the creature was way faster than them. They kept running but as they turned the corner the second berserker appeared in front of them. Quinn looked around frantically for another way out. They walked backwards up a random staircase.

    "Scott. It's both of them. They're both here." Malia said.
    "And Kate's probably not far." Quinn added.
    "Where the hell's Peter?" Scott asked frantically. Another set of claws would've really come in handy.
    "He ran the minute he sensed danger, like a smart person!" Quinn yelled. The berserker gained on them slowly, it didn't seem worried about losing them. And as the three kept walking backwards up the stairs they are cut off, when the second creature magically appeared in front of them.

    "Jesus Christ! These things are everywhere!" Quinn exclaimed.

Scott jumped up against the wall and landed behind the berserker, roaring loudly. He swiped at its chest with his claws, but it barely did anything. Malia went to attack the other one, but it's clear it was futile. Quinn decided to step in and jumped up, kicking out her two legs against the berserker's chest before landing on her feet. The monster stumbled back barely. It cut Malia's leg and threw her away before taking Quinn's neck in a chokehold and throwing her against the wall harshly.