twenty-nine

The blonde's long legs carried him all the way, tripping into the changing rooms, almost falling on his face while doing so.
Luke was about to leave because the room was empty as he heard a shower running in the back.

'Ash?'
With small steps, Luke made his way over to the showers.
When he finally saw Ashton, he felt his heart breaking. The boy sat fully clothed under a running shower and his face buried in his hands.
His shoulder's were shaking and he was clearly sobbing his little heart out.

Luke froze just staring at his best friend who was falling apart right infront of him. Ashton hadn't noticed Luke until he looked up with his wet hair hanging into his face.

'Luke?', he croaked, his voice obviously strained from all the crying. Little sobs still escaped his chapped lips but he tried to hold him in as best as he could.

Only the running water was breaking the silence that had fallen over the boys as they just looked at each other.

Luke took a step forward, holding a hand out for Ashton to grab. When the drummer reached for the hand, Luke pulled him up. The wet floor made Ashton slip slightly and the blonde tried to catch his friend, causing him to get wet too.

'Oh no, I'm sorry Lu', Ashton said while looking at Luke with red, puffy eyes.

'Don't be', the other boy answered, pulling Ashton into a tight hug.
Soon, Luke was soaking wet aswell but he didn't care. All he cared about was Ashton who was desperately holding onto him as if his life was depending on it.

'Lu?'
The addressed boy looked up, bringing some distance between their faces. Sobs were shaking the smaller boy again and it was as if you could hear two hearts breaking.

'I need you', Ashton said in all honesty. He couldn't hide anymore. He just couldn't.

'I'm here', Luke said and got closer to his friend again, connecting their lips in a kiss. Careful not to break the fragile boy, Luke moved his lips against Ashton's, who hesitantly responded. Clearly confused by the blonde's kiss, Ashton still could only think about the pain he felt. The aching feeling in his chest when he looked at Luke, making it hard to breathe. The feeling that made him feel heavy and dull, captured by his sadness and behind closed doors.
The feeling that made his stomach fill up with butterflies but let them die immediately as brutally as possible. Slow and painful.

The kiss was like a spark in the dark. A glimmer of hope when he felt like giving up. It made him think that he could try one more day. Only one more day and maybe that would make it right. Maybe Luke could fix this, fix him.

As the water was dripping down their bodies and their soaked clothes clung onto them like a second skin the door opened, revealing Michael.

'Luke?', he asked and the boys broke apart but it was already too late. Michael had seen them.

'Ash?', he asked confused, looking at the scene infront of him.

'What's going on?', he asked when no one spoke, making Ashton and Luke tense up even more.

'I.. we.. it's not like that', Luke tried to explain but he knew that it was hopeless. Michael had seen them and there was nothing changing that.

'It was my fault. I irritated Luke', Ashton said and gave Luke a last look before leaving the room. He walked past a very confused Michael, leaving an at least equally confused Luke back.
What happened and why did it happen?