thirty-three

About three days later, Luke had made a decision. He had thought about it almost every night and day since he had decided to help Ashton. Now finally, three days later he knew what to do - make Ashton contact the boy from the club. Well, the downside of that was that they were in another country. That was an obstacle but no reason to give up.

'Hey Ash', Luke said as he sat down next to the boy who was currently on his phone.

'Hey.'

'Uhm, remember that night at the club?'

'In America?', Ashton asked, still not looking up from his phone.

'Yeah, yeah there. You met that boy.. what was his name again?'
Luke was nervously shifting in his seat, rubbing his hands together.

'Lucas.'

'Ah right, Lucas', Luke said, ignoring the fact that Ashton hadn't told him what the boy's name was. Obviously Ashton had forgotten about that and told him immediately.

'Uhm so Lucas. Do you have his number?'

'Yeah, why?'

'Texted him?'

'No I didn't.. why are you asking anyway?', Ashton asked, finally looking up. The boy frowned at the singers sudden curiosity.

'Oh.. just for.. uhm scientific reasons', he answered, his face flushed red.

'Luke?'
The addressed boy hummed in response.

'You're one mess of a liar. Just tell me what you want.'
Ashton now had his arms crossed and looked at his friend with an eyebrow raised.

'No need to be rude', Luke mumbled with a pout. He didn't want to admit what his true intentions were so he had to talk himseld out of this.

'Luke', the drummer warned him. Ashton was clearly impatient and wanted an answer, if only Luke wouldn't suck at lying.

'What? I'm just curious. But if I'm not allowed to ask, I won't anymore', Luke said standing up and wanting to leave.
As he reached the door, he had almost given up that his plan would work.

'Okay, okay. Sit down and ask', Ashton said and Luke hid his grin before turning around and walking back to where he sat before. Maybe Luke was bad at lying but manipulating was a different story.

'Why didn't you text him?'

'Guess I kind of forgot about it. He didn't text me either though', Ashton responded as he watched Luke making himself comfortable.

'Then text him now? He seemed like a nice guy', Luke pointed out, even though he could hardly remember what the guy looked like.

'I could, yeah. But I still don't get why you care so much. Plus, you haven't talked to him so how do you know that he's nice?'

'I uhm.. just a wild assumption but you talked to him for quite a while so I figured he is.'

'Are you saying that I only talk to nice guys?'

'Yeah', Luke said but it came out rather as a question. His hands were folded over his right knee that he had pressed against his chest and his head was resting on it as he looked at Ashton, waiting for the conversation to continue.
Ashton on the other hand was just confused. He wasn't able to put a finger on why Luke cared so much about his meeting with Lucas.
Was he jealous? Probably not.

'Rude to think of yourself as nice', the drummer mocked Luke.

'Hey! I am nice and you know it.'

'Sure.'

'I am nice but whatever. Are you going to text him now or..?', the blonde asked, leaving the question open. A smile spread on his face as Ashton nodded with a sigh and unlocked his phone again.
As the boy clicked on Lucas' contact, he frowned.

'What? What's wrong?'
Luke immediately sensed his friend's discomfort, scooting a little closer in order to help.

'I don't know what to say', Ashton admitted, locking his phone and putting it away.

'No, no don't give up already. Let's think..', Luke said, grabbing his friend's phone and putting it back in his hands.

'Maybe first tell him who you are and then why you didn't text. Just in case, you know? You could maybe add that you liked talking to him or so.'
Surprised at Luke's sudden knowledge of club acquaintances, he nodded and started typing.

'How does that sound?'
The honey blonde showed his friend the text he had typed but hadn't send yet.

'Good. Maybe scratch the 'I'm in a boyband and we travelled through the world' part. Sounds a little.. well over the top, you know? You can add that later if he wants to keep texting.'
With another nod, he deleted that part and let Luke read over it again.
The blonde now approved and they send the text, now having to wait for a response. How long that would take?