27| Maybe I Do, Maybe I Don't

ALEX SPEED WALKS down the empty hallway, her boots clunking with every hurried step she takes. She focuses on breathing through her nose, her crumpled worksheet still clutched in her fist.

Footsteps echo behind her as she approaches the front doors.

As she spins around, her left heel catches her heel on her right and she barely catches herself from falling flat on her face.

"Whoa there. I knew you were going to fall for me, but I didn't mean it in the literal sense."

Alex internally groans, "What are you doing here, Riley?"

"You mean at the school I attend daily?"

Alex rolls her eyes, "You know what I mean."

"Do I, though? Do I really?"

"Shut up."

He laughs, running his fingers through his messy hair.

"See you around, Riley," Alex turns back to the door, pushing it open.

"Whoa, hold up," a warm hand on her shoulder halts her in place.

An eyebrow cocked, Alex releases the door handle and turns back to face him.

"Where are you going? Don't you have class?"

Alex shrugs, unimpressed by his impending interrogation, "No, it's my free."

His eyes narrow a fraction, "Then why are you only leaving twenty minutes into the period?"

Alex bites her lip, "I-"

"Hold on," a grin slowly spreads across his features, "Are you ditching?"

Alex feels the blood rush to her cheeks, "Um, no-"

"You are! Aren't you?"

Alex scratches her neck, an embarrassed smile making its way onto her face, "Maybe?"

His grin broadens, "I can't believe this. This is incredible!"

"It's really not that big of a deal..."

"It so is, young grasshopper. The biggest goody-two-shoes I know is actually ditching class right now. Is this even real?"

Alex's smile slips right off her face, and she remembers her less-than-ideal mood, "Jerk."

He raises his hands, "You always say that. Is there something you need to tell me? I'm starting to think you might actually believe that."

"Uh, that you're a jerk? How many times do I have to say it to get it through your head?" Alex scowls and turns back to the door, shoving it open and bursting out onto the steps.

"Alright, alright, don't get your panties in a twist," Riley follows her through the parking lot, "Where are you going though? And what has you ditching?"

"You do understand that insulting me is not the best way to persuade me to answer your questions, right?"

Riley makes a non-committal gesture, "Eh."

Alex abruptly stops walking, "Okay, why are you still following me?"

Riley grins cheekily, "Because I'm super bored, and this is far more interesting than my original plans."

Alex stares at him blankly, "Are you serious right now?"

"Pretty much, yeah."

Sighing, Alex tightens her ponytail, "Alright, what's it gonna take?"

"For what?"

"For you to disappear."

"A magician probably," A smirk plays about his lips, "If you don't have one of those, I guess you're stuck with me."