10. Eclipse

(Byul pov):

After my show I sit in the waiting room on a couch. I performed my self written and composed song Eclipse, even with my own choreography. I replay judges' words in my head:

"You definetly have a writing and composing talent. It is something you as an idol don't need, but it is a plus."

"Your voice is very husky for a woman. That's original."

"It is very hard to have a relaxed looking dancing style and still dance well and profesionally. Im glad you showed us it is possible."

I cant help but smile. I know I lack a lot, but I really feel good about myself.

A couple of minutes later, Hyejin joins me and after her Wheein. We chat, take selfies, hoping for the best, trying to shake off the nervosity. 

The door opens and Yongsun comes in. She looks happy but once her eyes meet with mine, her smile disappears.

"Hey, Yeong! Over here!" waves Wheein at her and she has no other choice than to join us. She nervously sits next to Wheein, so there are two people between us, yet she still looks uncomfortable.

"How do you feel?" Hyejin asks her.

"I guess fine... you know, let's just hope."

"I'm sure you were really good!" Wheein says. She turns to me. "Have you heard her sing? She's amazing!"

"Yeah, I believe it," I try to smile and Yeongsun smiles too.

"Oh by the way guys, did you solve the phone thing?"

I give her a confused glare.

"How Yeong found your phone case and-"

"Yes we did, thanks again guys," says Yeongsun quickly and gives me a cautious look.

We chat for a while, making our lunch plans, when the door open again and the judges come out.

"We have decided, we will keep sixteen competitors, out of which four will make our new girl group."

I can feel everyone holds their breaths. There are far more people than sixteen in this room. 

"Today's auditions will appear in the first episode of the show. The next episode will be about duets. In a couple of minutes, we will show the names of the contestants on the big screen. On the other screen, you will see your partner for the duet. Congratulations to the contestants, good luck next week."

They leave and everyone crowds in front of the big screen, where so far are only numbers from one to sixteen. 

So it comes with ranks, i think to myself, thats never good.

I notice Wheein and Hyejin holding hands, and I try to ignore the need to hold Yeong's hand.

I want to ask her if she's nervous or encourage her, when the screens blink and the names appear. I try to calm my stressed heart and read through the names on the screen. My name finally pops up. Rank 7. Well... could be worse. But Im still too happy that i got in to be disappointed. I start looking for others names, when I see Hyejin on the last place and Wheein on 5th. They hug and we congratulate each other.

I look at Yeongsun, who's staring at the screen with a pale face. I look at the screen again. How... SHE'S FIRST?

"Oh my god, congratulations," i want to shake her hand but she still stares at the screen. I realize she's looking at the second screen with the duets.

I completely forgot. 

I scan the names. Hyejin and Wheein together. That's why theyre so happy, i guess. Where's my name? Where-

"Oh..."

"Guys," Wheein smiles, "we all passed isnt that great?"

"And whats more," add Hyejin, "you and Yeongsun got to be together, isnt that great? We can practice all four of us and maybe we make it to the group like this!"

I smile shyly and look at Yeongsun, who looks like she's about to pass out.