23. Result

(Byul pov.):

"We did well," Yeong says and pulls me into a half-hug.

We sit on a sofa, holding hands, all four of us. Me, Yeong, Wheein, Hyejin.

In the waiting rooom, with other contestants. I feel their looks. It's not comfortable.

I think i can understand. They feel betrayed. I would probably too... I never liked people breaking rules and winning with that. But we had no choice. Sometimes you have to break the rules and risk the loss... Because winning by playing by the rules wont make you happy.

"I enjoyed the stage with you guys," I say.

"It felt like being in a group for real," Wheein admits.

Hyejin nods. "That's what we are."

Time passes. I dont even know how much.

When they call for us, to come back on stage. All of us.

We stand still holding each others hands. 

The CEO stands up, all attention on him.

"Today, we will adjust the rules, since they were broken by some contestants."

A spark of hope lights up in my heart. Adjusting the rules... accepting us all?

"There are two duels where both contestants will be winners."

Yes, yes, yes.

"And that is because, contestants Yeongsun, Hyejin, Wheein and Byuli will no longer take part in this show, so they will leave places for two more people to pass."

My heart skips a beat.

No. Keep calm. We counted on this. Just wait and do nothing, wait wait wait.

Yeong clutches my hand.

I kiss her cheek.

She blushes in surprise and looks around. Camera's on CEO. Noone looks at us.

CEO announces the winners.

So this is it, we go home.

"Like i adressed before, there are four contestants who will no longer be participating in the show. That is because, we have decided they could use their talent better on a different project."

Spark of hope is back.

We look at him confused.

"What you showed us here today, is something many groups do not show three years after debut."

What...

"This was a perfect professional stage. I was not watching four trainees. I saw four artists with passing and years of experiences who were born to be on stage. Be ready for more stages like these. Mamamoo."