Chapter Three~ To Feed a Kit

Janus woke up from his rest and stretched out his limbs. He then blinked the sleep out of his eyes only to nearly leap out of his skin when he hears a very high pitch squeal come from beside him. He looked down to see Virgil squirming around in the hay, his tiny, pink, toothless mouth ajar as he continued squeaking, but at a much lower volume. That's when it dawned on Janus; this kit hasn't eaten for hours, the poor thing is probably starving by now. Only issue, Virgil is still too young to eat solid food and there aren't any she-cats around to nurse him.

Janus started to rake his brain for ideas to feed this little kitten, none being good ideas in the slightest.

"Why's the kit screaming so much?" a tired voice mewed.

Janus looked up to see Patton, Remus, Roman, and Logan all looking down at him and the kit.

"He's hungry, but he needs milk that we don't have," Janus answered.

"How's about we catch a mouse, chew up the meat and feed that to him?" Roman suggested.

"That's disgusting. Let's do it!" Remus said while bouncing on his paws.

"Sorry Remus, but Virgil's still too young to eat any meat. He needs milk for the next moon or two," Patton said.

"Why don't we use the cows' milk? We can use moss to carry it and wait till the farmer leave the pail for a few heartbeats then get the milk for Virgil," suggested Logan.

Janus opened his mouth to answer when he suddenly felt something tug on the sensitive skin on his stomach. The calico let out a startled squeak while jolting for second before looking down to see what happened. To his greatest surprise and partial confusion he saw Virgil sucking on one of his nipples, tiny paws groping against his sides as he nursed. Janus felt sympathy for the kit, see how desperate it was to nurse.

"Sorry Virgil but I don't have any milk," he said, pulling the kit off him.

The tom's eyes were blown wide when he saw what was on the kit. There, pooled on his muzzle and tiny droplets on his whiskers was creamy white milk. Janus started slack jawed as Virgil pushed his way back to Janus' stomach and began nursing once again. He then looked up at the other for who were staring in amazement and a bit of disgust.

"Guess that problem is solved," snickered Patton as he turned and trotted back to his hay pile, Remus and Roman scampering after him.

Logan hung behind to watch the kit, his deep blue eyes sparkling with wonder.

"He's so cute and innocent," the kit said.

"Yes he is," Janus said.

"Do you think he'll like me when he grows up? That he could be my friend like you and Patton are or Roman and Remus?" Logan asked.

"Only time can tell Logan. He's still very young, but he'll grow quickly and then you might have a partner in crime," the older tom said.

Logan beamed at the proposition and laid his head down on the hay. He eventually fell asleep on the hay while observing. Janus chuckled at the kit before laying his head down and falling back asleep.