𝐈𝐕

----- act one, HIDDEN LIES
Chapter 4. Carlisle Cullen

FORKS HOSPITAL,
FORKS, WASHINGTON, U.S.A
2:05 P.M.

ASTRID STARED WORRIEDLY AT THE WALL OF THE HOSPITAL WAITING ROOM, WAITING TO SEE CARLISLE

She bit her lip and stared at the glassy surface of the freezing water, the spray of sea salt burning her skin. It had since been over two hours since she had left.

Two hours since she had left the Thrombey's house- well, her's and Marta's house now.

Two hours since she had left Jacob.

Jacob...Astrid hoped he didn't hate her. Not just for running away, but for leaving Marta with the rest of the inheritance. He didn't know if she was coming back, or what she was going to do with her share. With her gone, he didn't know what his family was going to do. He knew Marta wasn't going to help them after the way the rest of them had acted, so his only hope was Astrid.

But then she left. Astrid didn't know what she would do if he hated her now.

She was at Forks Hospital now. In just a few moments, she was to meet one of the people who raised her for over 10 years.

"Astrid Mikaelson?" The receptionist called out.

Astrid breathed deeply and stood up. A female nurse smiles at her and leads her down the hall to Dr. Cullen's office.

The woman knocks on the door and a clear 'come in' reaches Astrid's ears. She smiles at Astrid's before walking off, leaving the girl alone.

Astrid takes a shaky breath before opening the door. Carlisle immediately looks up, hearing the girl's accelerated heartbeat. "Can I help you?"

Astrid attempts to speak but stops as a memory hits her.

It was the first one of Esme and Carlisle when she was first introduced. They were the ones who raised her when Edward had begrudgingly brought 4-year-old Astrid home.

Esme smiled at her as she stood awkwardly outside, needing someone to invite her in as Edward didn't. Esme didn't understand at first, but after Astrid explained, gladly let her. Astrid didn't tell her that Edward didn't invite her in, instead saying he didn't know she was a Nightwalker.

She sat in the kitchen talking excitedly to Carlisle about how she wasn't human. She was glad she had someone else to talk to about this, even if Carlisle was the only Cullen who knew what Nightwalkers were.

It seemed like a centuries ago that it had happened, but it was really only about 10 years ago. It also seemed like hours that Astrid was stuck in her memories, but was really a few seconds.

She blinked rapidly as her eyes teared up. Astrid took a few steps forward while she wrung her hands nervously.

Carlisle could see the girl was incredibly nervous, so he said "Please, sit down," whilst gesturing to the chair in front of his desk.

She did so as she took a deep breath again so calm her racing heart.

Carlisle started thinking. The girl had a much faster heartbeat than normal humans, reminding him of Alethea.

His unbeating heart hurt just thinking about it.

"Astrid?" He whispered, immediately standing up upon realizing who she was. 

She smiled nostalgically, standing up as well. "Hi, Dad."

A/N
Sorry that it's so short. And awkward. I'm no good at reunions. The next chapter will be better and longer.