𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

----- act three, FINAL AWAKENINGS
Chapter 18. Lost In Thoughts

A CEMETERY
NEW ORLEANS,
LOUISIANA , U.S.A
2:07 P.M.

EIGHT DAYS LATER

EIGHT DAYS LATER

JACOB STARED NUMBLY OUT OF THE CAR WINDOW, IGNORING HIS PARENTS WHISPERS.

He hadn't slept in over a week, though he had taken a little bit of his mother's concealer to use underneath his eyes. He didn't want anyone to know he wasn't sleeping. But even the thick coat he used could still show the darkened skin under his eyes.

Anyone with a lick of sense could still tell he wasn't okay. His eyes held a weariness seen only in war veterans and the most broken of people. No 16-year-old should look like he had been through literal hell.

He had gotten off of the plane earlier this morning with his family and the Cabrera's- Marta, her mother, and her sister.

Her funeral had happened in New Orleans, being laid to rest where she had originated from.

The two had been meaning to take a trip down here together. In a fucked-up way, their dreams had been fulfilled. He was here with her, but not in the way he wanted. The universe was cruel like that.

Her funeral, if anything, only made it all worse. It sealed his fate of having to live without his best friend, his other half.

His skin had faded to a pale, unnatural color in the last week. His normally vibrant hair, though it was clean, was almost lifeless from lack of nutrients.

Anyone could tell Jacob Thrombey had given up on himself. It wasn't that hard to see. At this point, he could be confused for a vampire.

The biological family- Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, Kol, Freya, Finn, and their respective spouses- had been there. Several others, ones he assumed were family friends, were close to them as well.

Then there was ones he didn't recognize all that well- the Cullen vampire coven and Astrid's shifter friends. And a lot more people.

Jacob winced. Despite her claims, Astrid was really loved many, many people.

It seemed that even the sky loved her. It was a dreadful, miserable afternoon.

The day was supposed to be bright and sunny, but the heavens couldn't hold in the sadness. What had been a light drizzle of rain turned into a heavy downpour, soaking all of the cemetery occupants- both living, dead, and undead- to the bone.

He had not been in the mood for questions or small talk, so whenever someone tried to talk to him, he moved around to evade them.

He didn't pay attention to the eulogy. Instead, he was thinking about how much Astrid would hate this. He missed her so much.