𝐕

----- act one, HIDDEN LIES
Chapter 5. Discussions of the Past

A DINER
FORKS, WASHINGTON, U.S.A
4:07 P.M.

C

C

ARLISLE HAD LEFT WORK SOMETIME AFTER THAT, TAKING ASTRID WITH HIM. He was happy beyond belief that his daughter was back, but upset that he had missed out on so much. Last time he had seen her, she was almost 11. Now she looked to be almost a teenager, about 17 he'd say. He had stopped at one of the diners in town, knowing she was hungry. 

Astrid picked at the food on her plate, switching between eating and answering Carlisle's questions. "Where have you been?" He asked. She swallowed a bite and then contemplated her answer. 

She wanted to be honest, but it was rather hard. Astrid ran a hand down her face before staring out of the window, watching kids goofing off by various cars. She sighed, replying "Here and there. Massachusetts. New Orleans. I was taken in by a woman and raised alongside her daughters in Massachusetts. My sister, Marta, helped me get a job with the man she worked for, the author Harlan Thrombey. You know him?" Carlisle didn't miss the way she referred to Marta as her sister. He didn't say anything as he nodded. 

Carlisle smiles and leans back in the seat. "Her other daughter, Alice, acts a lot like our Alice." Astrid's lips twitched upward, seeing the vague resemblance in the way the two Alice's acted. "I suppose she's like a Latina version of our Alice," she smiles and takes another bite of her food." She went quiet for a second. "I found my family after a bit. Well, they found me...Turns out Klaus Mikaelson is my father." She smiles wryly. Carlisle did a double take. "The Original Hybrid, Klaus Mikaelson?" He asks in disbelief. Astrid purses her lips and nods. "Trust me, I didn't believe them for a long time. Until they did a...test," she hesitates, not knowing if Carlisle knew of the existence of witches. "I spent a while with them, then I went back to Massachusetts to finish up high school." Her lips turn into a snarl. "High school was a bitch, I swear." She shakes it off before taking a sip of her sweet tea. "So, I kind of took up the human diet for a bit, didn't really have much of a choice to be honest." she looked down at the table, not wanting to see Carlisle's disapproval. "Don't ask," she mutters under her breath. 

After a few moments of silence, Carlisle snapped out of his stupor. "When did you get here?" He asks curiously, leaning forward. "Earlier this morning. I...I panicked and ran," Astrid confesses. "Why?" He silently prayed it wasn't because she had an accident. "..." The girl was silent as she sighs, resting her chin on her fist. 

"Remember how I said Marta and I were, kind of, working for a guy named Harlan? Well, he died the other day and at his will reading this morning..." Astrid sighs and closes her eyes momentarily. "He left everything to us." "Really?" Carlisle asks in surprise. "Everything went to Marta and I. But I don't intend to keep my share. They need everything more than I do."

Regret washed over her as she remembered how she ran out on Jacob and Marta to deal with this alone. "I left them alone to deal with it, Carlisle." Tears welled in her eyes as she became upset. "What do you mean by 'them', Bekah-Astrid?" He corrected himself, remembering she prefers to be called by her full name now. 

"Marta and my friend, Jacob, Harlan's grandson." She went quiet for a moment, debating whether or not she should tell him. Finally she decided to. "And...Jacob's also my bloodsinger," she admits. "I love him," she says after a moment. 

 She leans her head against the booth, smiling up at the ceiling. "He's perfect," she whispers, knowing fully and well Carlisle could hear her. Her face sours when she remembers what his family thinks of him. 

"He's on his phone all the time around his family though. I don't know why he does it. Probably because he doesn't really like any of them, knowing how hypocritical and greedy they are. They think he's a "neo-nazi" as his cousin, Meg, calls him. She's constantly accused him of doing horrible things like 'swatting Syrian refugees,' as she said today. It really pisses me off. He's not like that and I wish they could see that." 

Astrid takes a breath after her rant. "I wish they could see him like I see him. Kind, loving, and he's the absolutely sweetest guy in the world. He deserves better than what he got."

The two were quiet for a second before Astrid shakes herself out of her thoughts and looks outside, seeing it's getting dark. "I want to go see the pack," she decides. 

"Are you sure that's the best idea, Astrid?" Carlisle asks warily.

 She shakes her head. "No. But I have to make things right. You said you heard Seth is still blaming himself for losing me? I want him to know it's not his fault, that it's mine and mine alone." 

She slides out and Carlisle does the same. "Can you drive me to the treaty line, please?" The two walk out as he says "Of course. I could take you straight to Sam's house, as Jacob abolished the treaty, if you wanted." Astrid hesitates before shaking her head, climbing into Carlisle's Mercedes. "No. I need to think, get my thoughts together, you know?" "Perfectly understandable." 

The two were silent for the whole ride, knowing there would be plenty of time to talk later. Astrid just hoped this wouldn't blow up in her face.

 Astrid just hoped this wouldn't blow up in her face