𝐗𝐈

----- act one, HIDDEN LIES
Chapter 11. Oblivious Mates

ALETHEA'S ROOM
THE THROMBEY HOME,
2 DEERBORN DRIVE, MASSACHUSETTS, U.S.A
9:58 A.M.

SUNLIGHT STREAMED IN THROUGH THE WINDOW PANES, WAKING JACOB FROM HIS SLEEP

He went to stretch when he realized where he was, or rather, who he was with. Jacob's arm was thrown over Astrid's waist and her legs were entangled with his. A light blush dusted his cheeks. 

"Morning sleepyhead," she teased. She was fully awake, as though she didn't sleep at all. Then he remembered that she didn't need it. 

Jacob's hands covered his eyes, not at all enjoying the sunlight. "There are some days that I hate the sun," he grumbles. 

"So does my entire species," she laughed. 

Her laughter was like music to his ears. Quite literally; her laugh was musical in tone. 

"If you don't mind- when you wake up of course- there's actually something I'd like to talk to you about," Astrid says, nervousness tinting her voice as she stopped. 

As the conversation turned into a more serious one, Jacob made himself wake up. Luckily it didn't take him long to. 

Astrid bit her lip and sighed. 

"Remember when I said Cold-Ones vampires have mates?" She asked hesitantly, as though she regretted her decision to talk. 

Jacob blinks in confusion, unsure of why she brought this up. "Yeah...why?" He asks slowly. 

Suddenly the throw pillow in her arms was all the more interesting to Astrid. "Even though I'm not fully a Cold-One, I wasn't an exception to that." 

Jacob's heart cracked in half. With how she explained mates, it seemed like he would have no chance. He wiped away the tears gathering at his eyes before attempting to smile. 

"That's great. I'm happy for you." It hurt him to say that, but he still wanted to be her friend. 

"Like Renesmee- my adopted niece, remember?- I also have an imprint, but unlike her, mine and Seth's relationship is strictly platonic. We're like siblings, so I thought I still might have a chance at finding my mate." She paused for a moment, letting that sink in. 

It seemed to Jacob that Astrid was actively trying to avoid saying what needed to be said. 

"A little over a year ago, I found mine. He's everything I could have asked for honestly. I love him to death, but I don't think he feels the same way," she admitted, looking at Jacob again. 

Unfortunately for her, Jacob was good at hiding his emotions so she could not see any glimpse of one on his face. 

"Maybe he's nervous, you know? Anyone as beautiful as yourself would make anyone nervous," he smiles at her, silently hoping she got the message. 

Astrid turned away, face bright red from blushing. 

"Maybe," was all she got out. 

"Do I know who it is?" Jacob had a teasing tone in his voice, but he silently hoped he didn't know. He didn't think he would be able to cope with the pain of seeing thr girl he loved be in love with someone else, let alone someone he knew. 

"Yeah. He has brown hair, gorgeous green eyes, and the brightest smile," she trailed off. 

A of hope lit in Jacob's heart when the description sounded a little like himself. 

"He's absolutely perfect," she whispered, turning to look at him again. 

That hope was crushed. Burned to ashes. Cracked and stomped on to a fine powder that blew away in the wind. 

To Jacob, he wasn't perfect in any way, shape, or form. He had scars for days and he was so messed up that he hated it. 

"You have yet to give me a name," his smile wavered a moment, his eyes betraying his inner feelings. 

Realization washed its way into Astrid's face. He wasn't catching on. That boy could be so dense sometimes. 

"I'll show you instead." 

Jacob was caught off guard by what she did next. 

She kissed him.

It sounded cliché, but when Astrid kissed him, Jacob felt fireworks. No, much more than fireworks. A fire lit in his heart and he felt more alive in that moment than he had in years.

His lips upturned into a small smile as she pulled away. "I know you're the one I want by my side for the rest of my life, Jacob. I'll love you until the end of time, unconditional and incorrigible."

He smiled as he laughed breathlessly. "I wouldn't have it any other way," he replied. "I love you," he says, kissing her again.

"And I you," Astrid murmurs. "Always and forever."

A/N
Ew.

A/NEw