𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

----- act two, DANGEROUS TRUTHS
Chapter 17. Death Do We Part

A HOSPITAL
MASSACHUSETTS, U.S.A
6:45 P.M.

JACOB DISAPPEARED AROUND THE CORNER, THE OTHERS IMMEDIATELY LOOKING TO THEIR BROTHER FOR AN EXPLANATION

"Strange," Elijah mutters under his breath, hands in his pockets as he stares at the end of the lobby.

"What was that?" Klaus demands, marching up to his elder brother.

"It almost seems as if the boy had turned off his humanity," Elijah speaks to himself.

The room was quiet for a moment.

"That's not possible," Rebekah chimes in. "He's human."

Elijah brushes back his hair absentmindedly, in deep thought. "Anything's possible."

"I'm pretty sure that kid's human. He smells like it," Kol speaks up.

"Not what I mean, Kol." Elijah looks at his younger brother before glancing around.

"Are you thinking..." Marcel trails off, unsure if the thought was even possible

"It's not entirely implausible," Elijah answers.

"What is? Elijah, what are you talking about?!" Klaus snaps in frustration, unused to being left out like this.

"The mating bond," two in-sync voice answers the hybrid. Davina and Freya shut the door to Thea's room softly, voices cracking from misuse.

Davina quickly runs to Kol's open arms, starting to cry once more. "I'm sorry," she whispers. Kol says nothing as the two just stand there in an embrace.

"It could be that when Astrid grows weaker, Jacob is stronger, perhaps so either one could still protect the other. The process was in reverse, as usually when Jacob is weak, Astrid is stronger. It's only been, for the most part, a theory until now because... well..." Freya trails off.

"Why?" Rebekah asks quietly from her spot in the corner.

"Because the mate either dies from a broken heart, or kills themself because they can't handle the loss of a part of them," the eldest continues softly.

A beat of silence passes.

"True mating bonds are very, very rare. They're bonded on a soulful level," Davina speaks up softly. "Hearts beat in sync, their soul calls for one another. If kept apart for too long after finding one another...they will fall into a deep depression unless the problem is solved."

Elijah sighs in defeat. "I don't know how we're going to explain his situation to his family."

No one spoke after that.

*****

In room A26 lay a deathly pale Astrid Mikaelson. Doctors and nurses did everything they could to keep her heart beating.

But nothing they did could counteract the poison creeping through her veins. Nothing could stop it from reaching her heart.

Doctor Robert Anderson sighs in defeat, head hanging lowly as the slow, unsteady beeping creeped to a single loud pitch.

Outside, the Mikaelson's hearts shattered upon hearing it flatline.

Elijah and Freya's heads hung low, a lone tear sliding down their faces.

Rebekah gripped Marcel's hand, almost breaking the bones as she cried heavily. Her niece, one who she looked after as her own, was dead.

Davina clutched onto Kol for dear life, sobbing into his chest. His hand ran up and down his wife's back, a feeble attempt to comfort both himself and her. Silent tears slid down his face as he rested his head on hers.

Klaus's eyes closed, his agony silent to others but the rage and sadness screamed within him. His daughter, his beautiful little girl, had been taken from him yet again. Both of them had. Only this time, she wasn't coming back, just like Hope.

Was he cursed? Both daughters had died. It seemed this was the universe's way of punishing him for all of his actions.

Jacob's fingernails dug into his scalp as he tried to stop crying. Blood and flakes of skin matted his hair. But he didn't care.

A nearby nurse was talking quietly on the phone with Donna and Walt, telling them what was going on.

He wasn't paying attention.

She's dead.

She's gone.

She's not coming back.

And it's all on you.

First was the breathing. He couldn't bring himself to inhale a single breath from the world that didn't have Astrid Mikaelson in it.

Second was the breaking of his heart. It shattered into a trillion, jagged pieces, never to be fixed again.

And third was his conscience. Maybe he would wake up, maybe he wouldn't.

All he wanted was to see Astrid one last time.

A/N
I'm sorry

A/NI'm sorry