Chapter 1

The sounds of loud sizzling alerted your attention from the cutting board, forcing you to grab a rag on the way to the stove, seeing the soup seeping through the lid openings, bubbling over onto the black electric top. Using the rag, you grabbed onto the hot handle of the lid, lifting it off fast as you were greeted with a mushroom cloud of aromatic steam, the broth calming down as it was greeted with the cool air of the kitchen.

You sighed, placing the lid on the side before returning to the sink, grabbing your wet sponge that was floating in green apple scented dishwater to resume washing the cutting board. You didn't feel like cooking a complicated meal for lunch, so you settled on a simple chicken soup to eat before taking Jack out on a walk in the park.
While you ran the sponge along the blade of your dirty knife, your attention was focused on the TV playing in the backround, hearing the news anchor echo throughout your apartment.

"Witnesses, varying from joggers who came for their early noon run to families who came to spend some time at their local park all claim that the attack was sudden and horrific, seeming to appear out of nowhere. A woman, claiming to be the attacker's girlfriend says that she's never seen him act so strangely before, that this morning he appeared completely normal, then it started to go downhill from there."

You rinsed the dishes, hearing a new female's voice replace the current one, sounding frantic and afraid.

"I-I still don't understand how it even happened," her voice was enough to make you look up to the TV, reaching over to turn off the sink as you stared at the brown haired woman, appearing incredibly distressed with her tear stained face. She wore a bright pink athletic jacket over a black tank top, her hair pulled back in a firm ponytail. Despite the bright material, that did nothing to hide the darkened blood splatters that decorated her entire right side.

"This morning he-... Kenneth, Kenneth was perfectly fine. W-we ate breakfast and then came to the park, we always do our same routine every day. But while we were running he just started coughing, but this coughing.. he didn't have asthma or anything. I gave him water but that didn't help, these others that were running came by and," The girl hesitated in her next words, covering her mouth with her clean hand as fresh tears streamed down her cheeks, "Kenneth he.. he lunged at them. Their was so much blood, it was like a fucking horror movie."

You couldn't help but feel sympathy towards the girl, seeing how she was rather young and happy with her boyfriend before the tables were flipped completely. You recalled seeing your first zombie attack, feeling the sheer horror and awe at how one person could just... eat another person like that. You knew her world would never be the same after that.

You finished the dishes, going over to check back on the soup. You didn't exactly grow up learning how to cook much, but you learned what you could in your free time. So far, the best thing you felt confident in cooking was chicken soup, and you liked the idea that you could be good at things that didn't involve risking your life or killing something.

You turned off the stove, placing the lid back on the pot before picking your phone up from the counter, feeling disappointed at the lack of any particular notifications you were looking for. Checking your phone almost every minute of every day for a missed call or a text message from Leon became a bad habit of yours, and it bugged you how you started to get used to the disappointment.

It made you angry at this point. The agency confirmed your husband was alive, yet they didn't want to spare details on his whereabouts. You were his wife, you had the right to know this about him, you were worried sick to the bone.

The irony of this Leon, I swear.

You slipped your phone into your back pocket, shaking your head before reaching over to pick up the navy blue retractable dog leash.