Chapter 19

Leon's hands gently wrapped around you, slowly proceeding to slid out from under your body, all while gently cradling you into his arms.

"(Y/N)." He softly called your name, getting onto his knees while laying you properly on the ground, holding you up against his knee for support.

Your head fell back slightly, although your chest was lifting lightly from your unsteady breathing. He gazed down to your chest, seeing the deep, oval sized dark mark from the scarab, appearing like a burn amidst all the dried blood patches. Various, uniform sized holes marked your skin, leaking new blood in thin, little lines that streamed down your chest.

"(Y/N)." He said your name again, bringing his hand over slowly to cup your cheek, lifting your head. "Can you hear me? Are you okay?"

Your eyelids fluttered from the contact, your eyes opening slowly as if you were in a heavy nap. Your blurry vision first met the dark skies, the clouds giving away to view the faint stars hiding behind them.
You turned your head over slowly, looking up towards the man who held you in his arms, blinking slowly.

"Leon...?" You whispered, seeing him nod slowly, his thumb brushing along your cheek, gently wiping away a bloodstain that was close to your eye.

Your hand lifted slowly, feeling incredibly heavy and sore as if you over exerted your body for hours, days even. Your palm managed to rest against his hand, exhaling slowly as you hooked your fingers around his.

"I..." you paused, blinking slowly to clear your vision more, thinking of all the steady stream of memories that came flooding back to your head. "I remember everything."

The ambush, the surgery, the events of the wedding, everything. You were at a loss with bits and pieces, but most of it was enough to understand what happened, and how you got to this position.
Not only was your body exhausted, each muscle feeling strained and sore, you felt mentally fatigued being controlled to be a submissive guinea pig.

"You came for me." You whispered, seeing Leon nod slowly in a silent response.

"Why?" You questioned.

"Why?" Leon repeated, almost bewildered by it. "I wasn't gonna let you be used by people who want to kill the world."

"But," You shook your head lightly, "Back at the hotel, you-"

"I know," Leon abruptly cut you off, letting out a defeated sounding sigh, "I know what I said back at the hotel. I knew I had no right to say that, but I did anyway."

His arm gently lifted you up, helping you sit up more independently while he remained on his knees beside you. A stinging sensation tingled from your chest, having you looked down to inspect the horrifying damage left by the scarab.

Goddamn it. Another scar. Great.

"I know it's really late for me to say this," Leon grabbed your attention, taking it away from the wounds on your chest as you stared up at him, "But you have no idea how terribly sorry I am. What I said.. you didn't deserve it, and I really mean that."

"Do you?" You asked, sounding almost insincere about his words. Despite everything, your rancorous feelings and thoughts it still lingered in your chest and mind. You knew it was something you wouldn't forget anytime soon, but it was something Leon definitely needed to explain before you would choose to forgive him.

"I do," Leon insisted, "I know you won't forgive me. I don't deserve it, but I want to make things right at least for the both of us." He seemed to stop for a moment, his eyes focused on the details of your worn, visibly tired face. Still, he found you to be an incredibly beautiful woman with a heart made of gold. To this day, it still amazed him how selfless you were, it made him all the more lucky to have someone like you by his side.