Chapter 16

The loud crackling of glass breaking rang in Chris's ears, accompanied with the sharp agonizing pain of his head making brutal contact with the glass underneath him, just as painful as the punch delivered against the left side of his face from Arias.

The punches didn't stop there. Glenn continued to deliver punch after punch, each one feeling more harder than the last, even when the numbing sensation spread throughout Chris's face, his hearing lost to the endless ringing.

In his dazed, almost defeated expression, he witnessed the silver haired man open his mouth wider, displaying teeth while emitting a horrendous, rage filled roar, like that of a lion preparing his final kill. He raised his right arm as high as he could, feeling almost triumphant in being the successor in this short lived battle.

He brought his fist down hard on Chris's blood stained and bruised face, the brutal collision causing his head to thrash back against the glass, crumbling under the pressure.

Chris, while feeling almost unable to keep his eyes fully open, proceeded to make use of his arms as they found a tight grip on Glenn's arms. He thought if he were to die now, he would at least die making sure the villain fell head first before him.

Glenn's facial expressions immediately changed into a look of horror as he let out a cry of shock, feeling the strong man's grip pull him hard over his shoulder, using his legs as an extra boost of support. Chris heard the complete shattering of glass as Arias collided into it, accompanied by the further screams of anguish as Arias fell through, his arms reaching out in vain.

Chris panted hard as his senses slowly returned, his arm hanging almost limp through the glass that had broke, thankful that he didn't fall through with him.

As he heard the man's echoing screams grow faint, he turned his body slowly to get onto his knees, peering from the broken glass to stare down at Arias, catching movement of flailing arms before at last, his body hit the concrete. A massive splatter of blood followed suit, staining the grey grounds a bright crimson, giving Chris the visual proof he needed to confirm that the man was dead.

Chris let out a short sigh of relief, tearing his gaze away from the sight as the relief that washed over him was almost as powerful as morphine, taking his mind off the pain he still felt in his body.
He backed away slowly from the glass opening, slowly getting onto his feet as he grew more cautious of falling through in case it were to break some more. As he turned around, the last thing he expected to see was you, pointing a gun at him as you stood in the area littered with bullet holes where Chris had first charged at Arias.

His breath caught in his throat, not only shocked at the sight of you, but also in your current state.

Before you heard the battle of both men with their constant gunfire towards each other, you had been on the ground in the bedroom, leaning against the bed with your hands occupied.

Your veil had long been since abandoned on the ground, scattered like a piece of trash that was quickly forgotten. The walls of the bedroom were thick enough to contain your continuous groans and screams, your fingers trying endlessly to tear the scarab off your chest without any success.

The evidence of your failure had stained your fingertips, smeared and ran down your chest in various crooked maroon lines that managed to meet the lower neckline of your dress, as well as various small splatters on the hard wood floors where you had at some point bent over in the agonizing process.

The second you convinced yourself to go outside had been the few moments before Glenn was met with his inescapable demise, which in turn had sent wretched waves of distress down your entire body as you were left to watch in dead silence.
Glenn was dead, which in turn meant that your fate had been sealed along with him, and Chris was completely unaware that he was the one who caused it.