Chapter 4

You stared down at the sink, both of your hands firmly planted on the cool surface of the black marble counter you were leaning on.

Your shoulders were shaking as you struggled to contain your temper. You were angry and hurt, all because of the way Leon was behaving, and especially what he said to you.

You wanted to blame the alcohol so bad, the image of the empty bottle and glass on the table when you walked in burned into your mind. You wanted to blame that his words were coming from a clouded mind, overcome with grief and poor judgement. But you knew, despite his drunken stupor, he was right in your own choices you made in the past.

The choice to abandon him for nine whole years compared little to three months that he disappeared from your sight. Nine years of lost time that you would never make up for, nine years that caused him to grow depressed and turned to drink for comfort, when all he really needed was you.

It made you look back at your past choices as selfish, making you take his words into consideration. Perhaps.. I was selfish for making those choices, he didn't deserve that. None of it.

But if I didn't do it, what Rebecca said had happened with my data would've never happened. If I never did what I did, thousands of people would've never been saved from their own diseases.

While you were lost in your own thoughts, the sink beside you was currently being used by Rebecca, who was currently washing under her fingernails with agitated movements. 

"That wasn't very nice of me." She commented, staring at herself in the mirror for brief moments at a time before turning her attention back to her hands.

"I don't know," you spoke slowly, looking over to your hand, seeing the slightly indented pinkish skin of your ring finger, missing it's accustomed wedding band, "It's hard to point out how childish grown men can be, until you shove it in their faces."

Rebecca huffed a bit, her face breaking into a small smile.

"Are you doing alright (Y/N)?"

You looked at yourself in the mirror, the skin around your eyes slightly puffy from the held onto tears you've struggled so hard to keep in. "I don't know," you admitted, letting out a sigh before running your left hand over your temple, "I don't know how to view any of this at the moment."

Rebecca hummed lightly, rinsing any remains of soap on her hands. "Is Leon always like this?"

"Oh no," you immediately shook your head, your lips slightly forming a faint smile from minor amusement, "He's never like this. He's far from this even, he's the most sweetest man you'd ever meet. I'm just... I'm trying to tell myself so hard that this is just the alcohol talking."

"Does he always drink? For him to drink a whole bottle so early.. it's kinda worrisome."

You nodded, looking down at the sink again as you brought your hands together in front of you.

"I've actually never seen him drink so much. I've never seen that attitude on him either." You looked up again, this time staring at yourself in the mirror as his words repeated in your mind like a broken record.

"What he said was true," you confessed, feeling the tears tremble on the bottom of your eyelids, "The three months he was gone is nothing compared to nine years."

"Hey," Rebecca turned to you more, her hands clean and dried as one of them went to your elbow, "It wasn't your fault. You had a major reason, and so far it's impacting the world a great deal even as we speak."

"I know," you looked to her, feeling yourself crumble apart as you grew more faced to the truth you came to believe as you proceeded to piece it in your mind, "But nine years... I didn't want to think about it, I refused to. But I realize now th-that I hurt him, a.. a lot more than I wanted to believe."