Chapter 4: Opportunity

A/N: Alright guys! Shit's gettin real in regards to life here at home. Corona put California on a mandatory home-stay lockdown thing starting tonight. Unfortunately, both my workplaces fall under the 'takeout/delivery' category, I think, so I'll still be working. *Cries* I'm grateful that I CAN still work and that my jobs are still providing income, but... :( The opportunity to sit home and get paid for it for once... *Sighs* Well, nothing is ever easy, right?

Either way, I'm still planning to update as often as I can for everyone!! Please stay safe!! Stay indoors (be the little fanfic/anime hermits we all know we are inside! Hiss at the socialization!) and wash your hands often. I want to wish a belated happy birthday to Chi-chan and Kisa. I'm sorry that this was going on during your special days, and hope that next year is much better.

So with that said, please enjoy and I hope this relieves some boredom for everyone.

~~~

Izuku would admit that he wasn't expecting a phone call during his lunch break at school. Even less so from his vigilante phone (which, thankfully, he'd had the foresight to add the voice changer to).

"Hello?" He answered. It wasn't a number he was familiar with, and Naomasa and Eraserhead both knew to reach out through the group chat by now, but he'd only given this number to them.

"Hello. Viridian, yes?"

"Who's asking?"

"I am Tsuragamae Kenji, Musutafu Chief of Police." Oh, shit he'd really attracted the higher up's attention this time.

"Tsuragamae-san!" He smirked, using a confident and laid-back tone. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Detective Tsukauchi has told me about your interesting proposition. I'm open to negotiation. Please come by the station at your earliest convenience."

"And how do I know you're not just going to arrest and unmask me?" Izuku raised an eyebrow, even though he knew the man couldn't see him. Though he wondered how he must look right now, sitting on the Jr. High rooftop holding a serious conversation with the Chief of Police (not that anyone would know that, unless they heard him call the man's name earlier).

"I assure you, we have no intentions of doing so."

"Bring in Eraserhead, and allow me to keep my weapons on me, and we'll talk."

He heard a very heavy sigh on the other line. "Very well."

"Great! Then I'll see you this afternoon."

Izuku shut the old flip-phone (ancient technology he'd salvaged from the scrap heap) and pocketed it again and turned around to go back inside before he was late to class, only to find Bakugo there.

"Hey, Deku! Who were you talkin' to? It's not like a useless Deku like you has any friends!" Bakugo shoved him roughly, and Izuku rolled his eyes as it failed to so much as make him stumble.

"Believe it or not, Baka-go, I actually have a life. And it doesn't revolve around you." He nimbly dodged the explosive punch from the blond, hands in his pockets.

"Think you're so high-and-mighty just 'cause you've got good grades?! You still thinking you can be a fucking hero, Deku?!"

Izuku's expression darkened. "I know it's an impossible dream, asshat." He enjoyed the flinch from the blond. "But I'm working tooth and nail to make that dream a reality. I will get into U.A. Just fucking watch me. And as you watch me, remember that every time you've beaten me down... every time you've called me useless... every time you've tried to crush my dreams. I got back up. And I persevered. Because I will become a goddamned hero, even if it fucking kills me. Because unlike you I don't do it for me. I do it for the people I can save." He then flipped over Bakugo and his cronies before casually making his way to class.